Butler coach Brad Stevens heading to the Celtics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butler coach Brad Stevens heading to the Celtics

I think this guy is one heck of a college coach but I'm not sure he's ready for a franchise like the Celtics with all it's great history and expectations. As a lifelong Hawks fan I love Doc Rivers and I just don't think this guy is ready to lead the Celtics to some titles.

I love Doc. Always have and always will. He didn't want to be here though. Plain & simple. He went through a rebuild once and at this point of his career, he didn't want to start over again. I also don't think Doc will coach more than about another 5 years. He has said for a while now that he really can't wait to take a break and spend time with family. The Celtics made it very clear that they wanted Doc but Doc didn't have his heart in to a rebuild again. In the end I think it was a great thing for both sides. Doc gets a chance to win again and Boston can start fresh with a coach that isn't going to cost them 7 Million a year.

This hiring blindsided everyone. Nobody up here or nationally said anything about hiring Brad. Most thought it would be a young guy from Doc's staff here.

With that said, I absolutely LOVE the hiring. I think it is a perfect fit for both sides. The Celts get to groom a great young head coach and Brad has a pressure free situation for a great franchise in the League. Boston is going to be bad this year and they want to be bad. Brad will have no expectations or pressure to win with a bunch of young and not so talented guys and he can take this season and learn on the job at the NBA level. Boston has 2 unprotected 1st round picks in 2014,2015,2016 and 2018. The 2014 draft is loaded and expected to be on the level of the Lebron draft. They build with those picks in the next few years and mix in veterans around them and by the time they start moving up again in 3 or so years, Stevens is in a comfort zone and ready to lead them there.

Stevens and Ainge live very similar lifestyles and I think there is a great connection there. I also think they love the patience Brad has shown over the years and that will play a big role in the rebuild as well

I really, really love what Ainge and the Celtics have done this offseason. They have done a great job stockpiling 1st round picks and they have a great young guy/person/coach to lead them forward.

Comment

Working...
    X