Mt. Rushmore of Sports (New York)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mt. Rushmore of Sports (New York)

Ok, Last one this week. I should have done this one 1st. I am curious to see the differences of opinion on this one.

BY FAR the hardest one of all IMO is ......

New York

Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Islanders, Knicks. Wow, Tough one!!!

I have about 12 names stuck in my head and i'm trying to narrow it down to 4!

Comment

You could easily make a case to go with 4 Yankees but do I want to do that ........

Comment

I have to do it .......

Derek Jeter
        Babe Ruth
        Mickey Mantle
        Toss up between Gehrig & DiMaggio ... I'll go with Joe!

Comment

Babe Ruth
          Lawrence Taylor
          Joe Namath
          Lou Gehrig or Joe Dimaggio

Crap this was tuffffffffff.

Gotta leave off all hockey players because Hockey is not that big in NY as Football or Baseball and Ewing never won.

For NHL the best Ranger player was Leetch and Islanders Potvin but they cant make this list

Comment

Holy crap for Chicago you put 2 Linebackers in there top 4 but you dont put the best linebacker of all time on the NY list

Comment

Originally posted by gizmo View Post
              Holy crap for Chicago you put 2 Linebackers in there top 4 but you dont put the best linebacker of all time on the NY list
              I had LT as a lock gizmo but the more I thought about his off field problems of late, I had to leave him off the list. One of my best friends is a Giants fan and forever his license plate was LT 56

After the whole hotel hooker thing with a minor happened, he was disguted with him and he ditched the plate like a day later.

I'm assuming many others think a little less of him now too. Not sure though.

Plus, the Yankees don't play in Chicago. They are hard to beat!

Comment

Babe Ruth
                Lawrence Taylor
                Joe Namath

Gotta leave off all hockey players because Hockey is not that big in NY as Football or Baseball and Ewing never won.

For NHL the best Ranger player was Leetch and Islanders Potvin but they cant make this list
                See now i'm shocked there is no Mickey Mantle there or Derek Jeter. Jeter may be #1 right now if you did a poll imo. As far as Hockey goes, I debated one name and it was Mike Bossy. Grew up watching him and them and they were great!

Comment

dont forget Mike Tyson and Sugar Ray Robinson also

Comment

So gizmo, You are in NY so you would know but if they did a poll in NY and said pick 4 athletes and we are going to put their statue up somewhere together, you think LT would get voted as one of those 4?

Over like ... Mantle?

Comment

Babe Ruth
                      Lawrence Taylor
                      Joe Namath

Leetch ? really....how about Ratelle,Messier,Hadfield,or even the Gump? just a thought....how about Giacomin?

Comment

I think that Jeter & Mariano, would get more votes than Mantle.

The people that know sports are different than the ones that hear things about sports.

All the woman would vote Jeter and all the younger people would also vote Mariano and altho Mantle was great to me he wasnt as good as Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio.

And I think every football fan from here would say L.T. was the greatest football player to play here and maybe in top 5 of all time in any area and even if he was an absolute tool off the field I dont think they would vote against him because of that.

We dont hold grudges as fans for stupid things off the field like the voters for the hall of fames.

Comment

and yes Leetch ask anyone that knows the Rangers, he was the best Ranger of all time. I am not saying he was the best player to play for the Rangers but he was the greatest Ranger.

Its like Saying was Babe Ruth the greatest Red Sox of course not but he was the greatest baseball player ever so just because he was there for a few years should he be the greatest.

Gretzky,Messier,Jagr, off the top of my head are all better but not as a New York Ranger

Comment

I would think Young and old would pick Jeter. IMO he may get more votes than anybody. As a Red Sox fan, I like Jeter a lot and all my friends who are Red Sox fans say the same thing, He is hard not to like. Great on and off the field. Just can't imagine 1 of those 4 not being Jeter!

Comment

I will write every name that is put on this board and bring it to the bar for the super bowl and have people pick 4 names and let you know the outcome.

So you want this to be a vote for a statue or for the best players from that area.

And I also like Jeter but I dont think he was ever the best player on any of the teams he played on,maybe 2 years you can make an arguement for but thats it. I think Mariano was more important for the Yankeses to win but if its for a statue because they are popular than who knows but I was putting the names of the best players.
                              Last edited by gizmo; 01-31-2013, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X