How hard to you think it is to get a job in the gamling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard to you think it is to get a job in the gamling

industry? Like in Las Vegas. I have a Corporate Finance degree. I sale insurance of all kinds, Ive passed numerous tests and am certified to be a financial planner and keep up with people's portfolios. Business has slowed Ill be honest, people around here in Tennessee are tight with their money.

Is it impossible to get a job out there in gambling. This is something I enjoy and could work 15 hours per day easy lol. Just thinking out loud Im sure no one really knows.

Sorry for the typos in the title.
    Last edited by Letswinalot; 06-07-2012, 01:58 PM.

It depends on what you want to do.

If you're talking about becoming a dealer, there are always jobs churning but the pay is very poor unless you get hired at a big joint and that just doesn't happen with beginners.

If you're talking about getting hired in corporate finance, understand that most of the Vegas companies have been downsizing.

However, and I assure you I have inside info on this, if you have any knowledge/expertise with China or southeast Asia, you have a good skill set. The future for Wynn, MGM, etc. is all China, Macau, Singapore, etc.

Like I said, if you want to be a dealer/Ticket writer, etc., there's lots of grunt jobs. To become a supervisor, unfortunately, takes years.

Comment

Haha yeah I was talking about getting into helping set the power ratings that they do for teams to help set the line.

Comment

Im not hurting I can pay the bills. I just think I may need to go back to school(which sux) and get something else. I honestly dont want to move I love Tennessee, but job opportunities are not that great around here. Also if I move to a big city and get hired on Idk how they would trust a southern accent speaking guy with their money. Damn this economy.

Comment

College almost seems like a bad decision, because I see my friends who just went and worked at a plant out of HS and they have a house. Im just renting a house. I also have student loan debt. All you heard was you better go to college through HS and that seems like some bad advice.

Comment

You and your people skills have ZERO chance.

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21 View Post
              You and your people skills have ZERO chance.
              Oh hell Im a great person. I been trying to be your friend lately sorry I hate on Oklahoma's football team.

Comment

Originally posted by Letswinalot View Post
                College almost seems like a bad decision, because I see my friends who just went and worked at a plant out of HS and they have a house. Im just renting a house. I also have student loan debt. All you heard was you better go to college through HS and that seems like some bad advice.
                It's great advice

Factory jobs are great and pay great when your out of high school/college, but after years you are in a dead end job with no advancement and maxed out on the money you are making.
                Good Luck to everyone
                Adam

Richie: [after Gus hits a homerun] Wow and he did it without steroids.
                Clark: What's steroids?
                Richie: Something that makes your pee-pee smaller.
                Clark: There must be steroids in macaroni!

Comment

There are a lot of majors that would have prepared you for a good job out of college but corporate finance isn't one of them. Accounting, Engineering, IT, nursing all would have allowed you to come out and earn good money. Go back to school and major in something that is in demand or learn a trade and open your own business. I have a friend who went to work about 5 years ago at the age of 35 as an apprentice learning how to install ceramic tile and hardwood floors. He now has his own business and is raking in a 6 figure income

Comment

Originally posted by ravenmaniac View Post
                    There are a lot of majors that would have prepared you for a good job out of college but corporate finance isn't one of them. Accounting, Engineering, IT, nursing all would have allowed you to come out and earn good money. Go back to school and major in something that is in demand or learn a trade and open your own business. I have a friend who went to work about 5 years ago at the age of 35 as an apprentice learning how to install ceramic tile and hardwood floors. He now has his own business and is raking in a 6 figure income
                    The 3 Best Degrees In 2012 - Yahoo! Finance

Its the 2nd best degree to have according to that. I just think its not that great where I live at. My degree was Business Finance(Corporate), you could have took easier classes and got Bussiness Finance(Real Estate)

Comment

Stay in Tennessee and become a bookie..

Tax free income and really rake in the dough.

Comment

Originally posted by ravenmaniac View Post
                        LWA - Rave's got the best answer so far IMO .
                        Do you live in a Big City ? You've got to be in a large customer base to make Get in a large community or ID the Company that you want to work for and move to their location. Take an entry level position to get your foot in the door (pay your dues)! IF your ship doesn't Come In, sometimes you just have to Swim out to meet it !!
                        Option 2 if your in a "smallish" Market and don't what to relocate then learn a trade !

gl

Comment

Working...
                        X