No announcement yet.

Sean Payton suspended for 1 year!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The NFL said the scheme involved 22 to 27 defensive players, targeting opponents including quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, Brett Favre and Kurt Warner. "Knockouts" were worth $1,500 and "cart-offs" $1,000, with payments doubled or tripled for the playoffs.

"The bounty thing is completely unprofessional. I'm happy the league has made it known it won't be tolerated," said left tackle Jordan Gross, Newton's teammate on the Carolina Panthers. "To think that something like that would happen -- guys trying to hurt someone to make a few extra bucks -- is just appalling. I mean we have a lot on the line, every single one of us. ... You don't want to see anyone taken out a game."

According to the league, Saints defensive captain Jonathan Vilma offered $10,000 to any player who knocked then-Vikings QB Favre out of the 2010 NFC championship game. The Saints were flagged for roughing Favre twice in that game, and the league later said they should have received another penalty for a brutal high-low hit from Remi Ayodele and Bobby McCray that hurt Favre's ankle. He was able to finish the game, but the Saints won in overtime en route to the franchise's only Super Bowl appearance.

All payouts for specific performances in a game, including interceptions or causing fumbles, are against NFL rules. The NFL warns teams against such practices before each season, although in the aftermath of the revelations about the Saints, current and former players from various teams talked about that sort of thing happening frequently -- although not on the same scale as discovered in New Orleans.

Comment

I agree with this punishment all the way around, but I gotta ask, why/how did Belicheat get off so easily? He didn't even get suspended and some may argue cheating is worse than what the Saints did.

Comment

Originally posted by LVJimmy View Post
        I agree with this punishment all the way around, but I gotta ask, why/how did Belicheat get off so easily? He didn't even get suspended and some may argue cheating is worse than what the Saints did.
        I know i'm a Pats fan but seriously Jimmy, Bill didn't try to end anybody's career. If you can't see a difference, and a big one, i don't know what to tell you. He also didn't lie about it for 3 years. When he was asked to fork over the tapes, he sent the tapes to the Commish office as asked.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218 View Post
          I know i'm a Pats fan but seriously Jimmy, Bill didn't try to end anybody's career. If you can't see a difference, and a big one, i don't know what to tell you. He also didn't lie about it for 3 years. When he was asked to fork over the tapes, he sent the tapes to the Commish office as asked.
          C'mon, I would expect nothing else from a Pats fan. Where exactly does it state they tried to end a player's career? Belicheat shouldn't have been suspended at all for blatantly cheating? Stop it

Comment

C'mon, I would expect nothing else from a Pats fan. Where exactly does it state they tried to end a player's career? Belicheat shouldn't have been suspended at all for blatantly cheating? Stop it
            What do you think a bounty is Jimmy? Having guys "Knocked Out" or "Carted off the field" can end a career, very easily.

It's like saying that stealing signs in baseball is equal or worse than throwing at a guys head. Are you friggin' kidding me?

Comment

What do you think a bounty is Jimmy? Having guys "Knocked Out" or "Carted off the field" can end a career, very easily.

It's like saying that stealing signs in baseball is equal or worse than throwing at a guys head. Are you friggin' kidding me?
              Yea, cheating like the Pats did is the same as stealing signs in baseball.

Comment

And again, please find me a statement claiming they tried to end a player's career.

Comment

Yea, cheating like the Pats did is the same as stealing signs in baseball.

What is the difference? Toronto was blamed for filming signs with a camera from the OF hotel room. That would be very similiar in my book.
                  Last edited by wayne1218; 03-22-2012, 08:15 PM.

Comment

And again, please find me a statement claiming they tried to end a player's career.
                    If you can't figure out what knocked out or carted off means, you need to read up on it.

Comment

Stealing signs is similar to stealing an entire playbook, etc?

Nope

Comment

Stealing signs is similar to stealing an entire playbook, etc?

Nope
                        An entire playbook? Get real jimmy. You show me where that ever happened. I know all about spygate and i never ever saw that in writing. It was tapes jimmy, tapes that were shown on ESPN. Educate yourself on it a little more

Comment

An entire playbook? Get real jimmy. You show me where that ever happened. I know all about spygate and i never ever saw that in writing. It was tapes jimmy, tapes that were shown on ESPN. Educate yourself on it a little more
                          And on those tapes were plays correct?

And again, show me where it says players tried to end another player's career.

Comment

Obviously this is way worse, but there is no doubt in my mind that Goddell (sp) plays favorites.

Comment

Let me help you understand the magnitude of this Jimmy because it is quite obvious you havn't read up much on it.

There are 659 lawsuits right now against the NFL related directly to injuries that state the NFL didn't do enough to stop them from happening. It is a problem that is beyong epic for the NFL and it's front office right now. Those 659 lawsuits are just the beginning. There are at least another 50 that are in the process of being filed and there is talk of combing all of them to have what would be not only the biggest class action lawsuits in sports, but the biggest in this Country.

If you really believe that spygate is worse, good luck convincing the NFL of that because i think they have spoken and spoken loudly on this issue. It is a lawsuit that could bring this league to it's knees when nothing else has ever been able to. Injuries are the biggest problem and priority in this league and they absolutely HAD to do what they did here.

The 2 are not only not on the same scale, they are not even close and your simple hatred for the Patriots or Bill won't change those facts.

Comment

Let me help you understand the magnitude of this Jimmy because it is quite obvious you havn't read up much on it.

There are 659 lawsuits right now against the NFL related directly to injuries that state the NFL didn't do enough to stop them from happening. It is a problem that is beyong epic for the NFL and it's front office right now. Those 659 lawsuits are just the beginning. There are at least another 50 that are in the process of being filed and there is talk of combing all of them to have what would be not only the biggest class action lawsuits in sports, but the biggest in this Country.

If you really believe that spygate is worse, good luck convincing the NFL of that because i think they have spoken and spoken loudly on this issue. It is a lawsuit that could bring this league to it's knees when nothing else has ever been able to. Injuries are the biggest problem and priority in this league and they absolutely HAD to do what they did here.

The 2 are not only not on the same scale, they are not even close and your simple hatred for the Patriots or Bill won't change those facts.
                                You're right, it's all about my hatred of Belicheat and the Pats!!!

And if you don't think Belicheat deserved to be suspended for cheating, your homerism is blinding you.

Comment

Working...
                                X