Cold Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Business

INDIANAPOLIS — The Patriots [team stats] offered a harsh reminder last night that the NFL is still a business. Often, a cold business.

The night before Super Bowl XLVI, the team released receiver Tiquan Underwood and promoted defensive end Alex Silvestro from the practice squad. Underwood would not have figured prominently into the game plan, and the team likely plans to use undrafted rookie Silvestro as part of a defensive line rotation.

In addition, this makes it all but certain that receiver Chad Ochocinco will be active for tonight’s game.

A source said there was no disciplinary measure, and the team still wants Underwood back for next season. All of which makes the move even more harsh. He went through every bit of preparation for the game, was in the team picture, and described it as “a dream.”

Last night on Twitter, the player who became a fan favorite for his High Top Fade haircut and affable personality, sounded professional.

“This Is Nothing But MOTIVATION,” Underwood tweeted. “I Been Thru A LOT...But There Are people In This World with More Serious Problems So I can’t Hang The Head....Thank You Lord #Blessed.”

Later, he added, “Good Luck To The New England Organization, The Coaches, & All My Teammates... #PatsNation.”

The Giants cannot claim Underwood and put him on their roster because the transaction was made on a Saturday.

Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski appears to have handled rest and rehabilitation well. The much-discussed high-ankle sprain did not force him to limp during the 75 minutes on his feet for the team’s photo session, according to a pool reporter.

The Gronkle appears ready for the game.

“I think he’s doing better,” Belichick said. “I think he’s doing a little better each day. We’ll just have to see where things (are) and get through tomorrow.”

Picture perfect

The Patriots ended a Super Bowl week in picture-perfect form.

The team did not have a walk-through yesterday, but they did travel to Lucas Oil Stadium to take team photos and soak up the atmosphere.

And players did. They brought their families onto the field and took pictures. Quarterback Tom Brady [stats], for instance, snapped photos with his parents, while others videotaped the proceedings — even Underwood before he was cut.

He still gets the ring if they win and either 44000 or 88000.

It is harsh I agree, but look at the big picture. One of my friends said he felt sorry for Steve Nash, because he was on a bad team and I was like "He is freakin rich".

Comment

Point well taken Spark ... Do you want a premium seat FOR the game OR do you want to be (in) the Game. Ring pales in comparison to the EXPERIENCE of playing in THE GAME ! JMO

Comment

Working...
      X