Prince Fielder to detroit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prince Fielder to detroit

DETROIT (AP) — Free agent first baseman Prince Fielder and the Detroit Tigers agreed Tuesday on a nine-year, $214 million contract that fills the AL Central champions' need for a power hitter, a person familiar with the deal said.

CBS first reported the agreement.

The person told the Associated Press that the deal was subject to a physical. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the contract was not yet complete.

Detroit boldly stepped up in the Fielder sweepstakes after the recent knee injury to star Victor Martinez. A week ago, the Tigers announced that the productive designated hitter could miss the entire season after tearing his left ACL.

The Tigers won their division by 15 games before losing in the AL championship series to Texas. Adding Fielder gives the Tigers two of the game's premier sluggers, pairing him with Miguel Cabrera.

The move also keeps Fielder's name in the Tigers' family. His father, Cecil, became a big league star when he returned to the majors from Japan and hit 51 home runs with Detroit in 1990. Cecil played with the Tigers into the 1996 season.

Several teams had shown interest this winter in the 27-year-old Fielder, who had spent his entire career with Milwaukee. He visited Texas, and the Washington Nationals also got involved in the discussions.

The beefy slugger hit .299 with 38 home runs and 120 RBIs last season. He is a three-time All-Star and was the MVP of last year's event in Phoenix.

Fielder has averaged 40 homers and 113 RBIs over the past five years. He's also been among the most durable players in the majors, appearing in at least 157 games in each of the last six seasons.

The deal is only the fourth $200 million contract in baseball history, following Alex Rodriguez's $275 million, 10-year contract with the New York Yankees, A-Rod's $252 million, 10-year deal with Texas and Albert Pujols' $240 million, 10-year contract last month with the Los Angeles Angels.

Among current players, his $23.78 million average salary is behind only A-Rod ($27.5 million), Ryan Howard ($25 million), and Cliff Lee and Pujols ($24 million each).

Detroit general manager Dave Dombrowski said last week he felt finding a replacement for Martinez was a short-term problem, but he left himself some wriggle room, saying it depended who the player was.

Acquiring Fielder opens all sorts of possibilities, such as moving Cabrera to third base or having one of the two sluggers be the designated hitter

I hope they put a weight clause in that contract.

Comment

That's right baby CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!

Comment

UM, I am a big Miggy fan, but there is NO WAY that he is a third baseman... I could be wrong but I've never seen a third baseman that big.. If I'm wrong then someone please correct me.. I know they both have big egos but wouldn't it make more sense to just rotate them back and forth from first to Dh ??? ... Either way this is a HUGE addition to the Tigers and when Vmar comes back that line up is going to be scary..My cousin that lives in the D told me they should trade miggy for some pitching..I told him he is out of his mind. if they did that then the signing of fielder wouldnt even of made any sense, as having now the best 1-2 power hitting dual in baseball is the whole purpose for the deal, and in my opinion miggy is every bit just as good as prince.. either way no matter how one looks at it , this is a huge signing and a great one for the tigers.. the only thing is prince will have to get use to listening to latin music in the locker room because he is a big hip-hop fan and the tigers blast latin music in their locker room..lol.. So who does everyone think did better with off season moves the angels or the tigers???... I say Detroit...

Comment

Originally posted by ravenmaniac View Post
          I hope they put a weight clause in that contract.

Comment

Originally posted by CashMoney View Post
            That's right baby CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!
            Scoring runs wasn't the problem for the tigers last year, They couldn't get anybody out, and still need a couple more pitchers and finding another ace would be great... they didnt lose to texas because they couldnt score runs, like i said they lost because they couldnt get anyone out... fielder is one of the best power hitters in the league and no doubt signing him was a very smart move, but he did lead all first baseman in errors last year.. i wouldnt say signing him puts them in the world series or wins it for them.. thats what everyone thought when miami signed lebron.. im not big on just sign one super star and you have the world series wrapped up.. what about the Angels?? they got big albert and TJ... Baseball is a long grueling season and last year fielder and braun were as good a dual as him and miggy will be and they had good pitching and they still didnt win it all. dont get me wrong they are going to be a force , but in my opinion they would have a better chance if Vmar were going to be in the line-up...

Comment

There are some other pretty good teams to contend with in the AL also-Yankees, Angels, whom you mentioned, Red Sox, Texas and Tampa with that great pitching-no slam dunks for anyone in this league thats for sure.

Comment

Working...
              X