Yankees Pitcher CC Sabathia Surprises 13-Year-Old Cancer Survivor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankees Pitcher CC Sabathia Surprises 13-Year-Old Cancer Survivor

With all the negativity with major league ball players here is a guy that contradicts that thought process. I watched this show when it aired and saw the concern Sabathia had for this kid. CC, you are truly a class act. God Bless!!!
    I wish you nothing but success.

Recovering from bone cancer, teen meets idol

Dugan Smith to attend Game 4 of World Series

Updated: Thursday, 20 Oct 2011, 1:08 AM EDT
    Published : Thursday, 20 Oct 2011, 12:04 AM EDT

FOSTORIA, Ohio (WUPW) - A Fostoria teen who recovered from a rare cancer surgery that reattached his leg backwards, is receiving some national attention this week.

Not only did he appear on Anderson, on Sunday Dugan Smith will travel Texas to attend Game Four of the 2011 World Series.

The 13-year-old never thought that one day he would meet his favorite baseball player, New York Yankees pitcher C.C. Sabathia. But he did, thanks to Anderson, a nationally syndicated show seen locally on FOX Toledo.

"To be on a talk show is pretty cool," Dugan said.

Dugan was diagnosed with cancer back in 2008. He had a tumor the size of a softball on his thigh bone. After months of chemotherapy, a rare procedure was performed by a doctor in Columbus that cut off a portion of his leg turning it 180 degrees. That procedure saved his life.

Dugan, who loves to play baseball, plays his favorite sport with a prosthetic leg.

After hearing about Dugan's story, Anderson Cooper called the Fostoria teen and asked him to be on his show.

"He's a really nice guy," Dugan said of Cooper.

"I want to be the first major league pitcher with a prosthetic leg," he added.

But his story gets better.  On the show Anderson surprised Dugan with a signed autograph baseball from Sabathia, who also surprised the eighth grader on the show.

"I was just like, 'Oh my gosh!," Dugan recalled. "I couldn't even .. my head was about to explode.  When he walked in he gave me a worn jersey that he wore in a game and signed it."

Dugan also received a signed autograph from fellow Yankee Derick Jeter and three tickets to World Series Game Four in Arlington, Texas, which will be shown this Sunday on FOX Toledo.

Dugan is now cancer free.  After the Anderson show visit, he and Sabathia exchanged information, and he's expected to hang out with the Yankees pitcher in November in New York City.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Last edited by Spark; 10-23-2011, 01:18 PM.

big UPS to CC. I always liked this guy as a player. Mainly cause he was fat like me and wears cool pajama pants on the mound. I'll add this to my list.
    2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Originally posted by 10DimeBry View Post

. Mainly cause he was fat like me .

Awesome when a person can laugh at themselves ...

Comment

Nice gesture on CC's part.

Comment

Working...
        X