X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather-Pacquiao?

Will this fight ever take place?

By Tim Daniels (Featured Columnist) on September 18, 2011

Floyd Mayweather against Manny Pacquiao.

Even though it's the fight everybody in the boxing world wants to see, it's been held back by contract negotiation issues and verbal jarring in the media, leading the world to wonder, will this fight ever happen? The answer is yes.

Both men are in their 30s and have other interests they have been attending to in recent years. However, they will not be able to stay away from the massive (guaranteed) payday available to them if they finally agree to fight each other.

Inside of Cowboys Stadium, which would likely sell out to see these two giants of the sport collide, it would be a bout that could set records. The hype would be unmatched and the fight would probably live up to just about all of it.

You can point the finger at either camp for not getting a deal done, but at the end of the day they are both to blame. The fight is too important to boxing for it never to materialize.

Mayweather was guaranteed $25 million to face Victor Ortiz, who was not widely known outside of the diehard boxing fans. If he would agree to a fight with Pacquiao, it's impossible to tell how much money he could rake in for one night.

Pretty Boy needs the match more than Pacquiao. True or not, the perception is that Mayweather has been ducking Pac-Man by trying to force him into a blood test close to the fight. It's been one of the biggest sticking points in negotiations.

It would be a shame for Mayweather to finish his career undefeated with having a Pacquiao fight that never happened hanging over his head. While the Filipino would probably be favored in the bout, Mayweather has a good enough defensive style to hang with him.

As for Pacquiao, he doesn't escape the situation with clean hands if the fight never occurs, either. If he really wanted to face loudmouth from Michigan, he would accept any of Mayweather's time-wasting ploys and force him to man-up or back-down.

The posturing from both sides will have to end eventually. The money on the table is eye-popping and both guys could use another gigantic payday before moving on in life. It will take weeks of painstaking negotiations, but it will get done. It has to.

For the betterment of the sport and both men's legacies, the fight must happen. Hopefully in 2012.

Pacquiao vs Mayweather: Will Pretty Boy and Pac-Man Ever Meet in Ring? | Bleacher Report
    Floyd Mayweather
    50.00%
    Manny Pacquiao
    50.00%

I think what happened tonight is setting up the fight with pac-man.boxing has done worse things for ratings and i think if they sign a contract tomorrow and say we are going to fight the week before the super bowl then that fight will make double or triple the $$$$$$ of any other fight ever.
    MLB 2012***100-98 +$215 OR +2.15 UNITS
    HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
    0-0TOP PLAYS

NCAA FBL 2011-2012**** 26-23

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

I still think floyd wins the fight against pac-man
      HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
      0-0TOP PLAYS

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

As is usual with Mayweather fights of late, the plot line involves a fighter who will be thousands of miles from the ring at the MGM Grand hotel arena. So far Mayweather has resisted agreeing to a fight with Pacquiao, insisting that without Olympic-style drug testing he will not get in the ring with any fighter.

Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, indicated recently, though, that drug testing wouldn't be a roadblock to a fight next May, assuming Mayweather beats Ortiz and Pacquiao tops Juan Manuel Marquez in November.

"You keep hearing Pacquiao, Pacquiao, Pacquiao," Mayweather said. "I'm not ducking and dodging anyone. I'm not hiding from any opponent. If you're the best, take the test and we'll fight."

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat View Post
          As is usual with Mayweather fights of late, the plot line involves a fighter who will be thousands of miles from the ring at the MGM Grand hotel arena. So far Mayweather has resisted agreeing to a fight with Pacquiao, insisting that without Olympic-style drug testing he will not get in the ring with any fighter.

Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, indicated recently, though, that drug testing wouldn't be a roadblock to a fight next May, assuming Mayweather beats Ortiz and Pacquiao tops Juan Manuel Marquez in November.

"You keep hearing Pacquiao, Pacquiao, Pacquiao," Mayweather said. "I'm not ducking and dodging anyone. I'm not hiding from any opponent. If you're the best, take the test and we'll fight."
          THEY ARE BOTH SCARED OF EACH OTHER
          HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
          0-0TOP PLAYS

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

Floyd scared of pacman. Pacman on the juice and doesn't want to get tested. May has more to lose given he is undefeated. It will happen in 3 years when Mayweather is broke and needs the cash. Pac wins in decision-he will be more aggressive and win on the cards bc of this.
            Check out all of my past picks at www.Byeweekpicks.com
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/Byeweekpicks

2014 NFL Record: 36-30-1 (55%), +5.5 units

2013 NFL Record: 34-26-1 (57%)

2012 NFL Record: 41-30-2 (58%)
            +9 units (1unit=6% of bankroll)

2011 NFL record: 34-25-2 (58%)
            +3.4 units

2010 NFL Record: 29-16-2 (64%)
            +15.1 units

2009 NFL Record: 37-24-4 (61%)
            +16.3 units

2008 NFL Record: 39-24-3 (62%)
            +16.8 Units

2007 NFL Record: 42-27-2 (61%)
            +14.7 Units

Comment

Pac wins IMO

Comment

There is only one reason Mayweather isn't taking the fight, he doesn't think he can win. He can hide behind the drug testing excuse but deep down he knows Pac-man beats him. Otherwise why not take the fight and pick up a cool 25 million or whatever they each would make.I think they will fight by the end of next year.

Comment

Working...
                X