X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Toledo RB pleads guilty in bribery, point-shaving probe

Posted by Ben Kercheval on August 26, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

quinton broussard

Last month, a strange story broke that former Toledo running back Harvey McDougle Jr. had pleaded guilty to conspiracy to influence sports through bribery in a point-shaving probe involving a Detroit-area gambler.

Three other Toledo athletes — ex-football players Adam Cuomo and Quinton Broussard, and  ex-basketball player Sammy Villegas — were also linked to the scandal. Cuomo and Villegas ultimately pleaded not guilty, but Broussard was expected to enter a plea of guilty this month.

That expectation has come to fruition, as the Associated Press reports that Broussard has pleaded guilty to conspiracy, admitting he informed gambler Ghazi “Gary” Manni about team injuries and other confidential information in exchange for “small amounts of money.”

The former running back also claimed he intentionally fumbled against Texas-El Paso in the 2005 GMAC Bowl in exchange for money.

“I don’t remember the game,” said Broussard. “You’ll have to go back to the film.”

Moving forward, Broussard is expected to testify against co-defendents, but could still face up to six months in custody for his role in the scheme.

This is why no one will ever convince me that this stuff does not happen a hell of a lot more than we will ever know. When there is $$$$$$$ involved anything goes.

Comment

I agree Spark. There are plenty of refs out there going unnoticed I bet too.
      NBA is a joke

Comment

NFL refs made up of attorneys , insurance guys and salesman ! And they are on the up and up ? Give me an effin break !

Comment

still remember the toledo / fresno st game, where gradkowski was probable, and didnt end up playing. that line shot like a cannon before announcement he was out, and fresno rolled them. gradkowski i believe was linked to this point shaving too.

Comment

Originally posted by molta02 View Post
            still remember the toledo / fresno st game, where gradkowski was probable, and didnt end up playing. That line shot like a cannon before announcement he was out, and fresno rolled them. Gradkowski i believe was linked to this point shaving too.
            there was a guy on here that said he talked to gradkowski on facebook way back wehn we did not even know what facebook was let me see if i can find the thread very intresting
            MLB 2012***100-98 +$215 OR +2.15 UNITS
            HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
            0-0TOP PLAYS

NCAA FBL 2011-2012**** 26-23

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

Originally posted by tech fan View Post
              there was a guy on here that said he talked to gradkowski on facebook way back wehn we did not even know what facebook was let me see if i can find the thread very intresting

i bumped the thread i hope spark or someone else can put the link in this thread
              HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
              0-0TOP PLAYS

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

Toledo Rockets vs. Fresno State Bulldogs - Recap - September 27, 2005 - ESPN

Fresno State routs previously unbeaten Toledo 44-14
                Passport

Were you at the game? Did you attend another game recently? Check in with ESPN Passport for iPhone, or check in online to archive your memories, photos, and your personal win-loss record.

6 fans checked in

Check in » iTunes »
                Team Stat Comparison

Toledo
                Fresno St
                1st Downs 20 13
                Total Yards 304 248
                Passing 163 69
                Rushing 141 179
                Penalties 11-87 4-25
                3rd Down Conversions 6-16 3-9
                4th Down Conversions 2-3 0-0
                Turnovers 3 1
                Possession 37:19 22:41
                Passing Leaders
                Toledo C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
                Cochran 16/24 163 6.8 1 1
                Fresno State C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
                Pinegar 9/16 69 4.3 2 0
                Brandsta... 0/1 0 0.0 0 0
                Rushing Leaders
                Toledo CAR YDS AVG TD LG
                Dawson 17 92 5.4 0 12
                Parmele 11 43 3.9 0 10
                Fresno State CAR YDS AVG TD LG
                Sumlin 17 106 6.2 1 13
                Mathis 9 27 3.0 1 9
                Receiving Leaders
                Toledo REC YDS AVG TD LG
                Hawkins 5 34 6.8 0 9
                Redd Jr. 3 28 9.3 0 11
                Fresno State REC YDS AVG TD LG
                Sumlin 2 41 20.5 1 21
                Williams 2 7 3.5 1 6
                Scoring Summary
                FIRST QUARTER TOL FRES
                TD 3:33 STEVE ODOM 36 YD PASS FROM CLINT COCHRAN (JASON ROBBINS KICK)
                Drive info: 8 plays, 62 yards.
                7 0
                SECOND QUARTER TOL FRES
                TD 14:57 PAUL WILLIAMS 1 YD PASS FROM PAUL PINEGAR (CLINT STITSER KICK)
                Drive info: 10 plays, 53 yards.
                7 7
                TD 7:16 BRYSON SUMLIN 20 YD PASS FROM PAUL PINEGAR (CLINT STITSER KICK)
                Drive info: 9 plays, 82 yards.
                7 14
                TD 6:24 TYRONE CULVER 30 YD DEFENSIVE FUMBLE RETURN (MISSED KICK) 7 20
                TD 0:25 WENDELL MATHIS 1 YD RUN (CLINT STITSER KICK)
                Drive info: 7 plays, 34 yards.
                7 27
                THIRD QUARTER TOL FRES
                FG 9:14 CLINT STITSER 40 YD FG
                Drive info: 5 plays, 20 yards.
                7 30
                TD 5:41 PAUL WILLIAMS 5 YD BLOCKED PUNT RETURN (CLINT STITSER KICK) 7 37
                TD 3:38 BRYSON SUMLIN 3 YD RUN (CLINT STITSER KICK)
                Drive info: 3 plays, 27 yards.
                7 44
                FOURTH QUARTER TOL FRES
                TD 1:38 CLINT COCHRAN 1 YD RUN (JASON ROBBINS KICK)
                Drive info: 8 plays, 50 yards.
                14 44

FRESNO, Calif. (AP) -- Bruce Gradkowski watched his Toledo teammates from the sideline, wearing a cap and a grim expression.

The Rockets' star quarterback couldn't play, apparently because of a concussion -- and without him, Toledo couldn't even stay close to Fresno State.

Paul Williams caught a touchdown pass and returned a blocked punt for a score, and Tyrone Culver returned a fumble for another touchdown in the Bulldogs' 44-14 victory Tuesday night.

Bryson Sumlin ran for 106 yards and a score and also caught a TD pass to help the Bulldogs (2-1) rebound from a 37-34 loss at Oregon 10 days ago. That defeat knocked them out of the Top 25, but the Bulldogs still believe they've got their best shot yet at coach Pat Hill's first outright WAC title in his nine seasons.

And Gradkowski's absence didn't make this one-sided victory over the Rockets (3-1) any less sweet for Hill.

"I don't think it would have made any difference," Hill said. "He's a great player, but I think we were really dialed into what they were doing. I was hoping he was going to play."

Gradkowski, the Rockets' career passing leader in several categories, was held out of the game at the last minute. The school refused to give any details, but Gradkowski apparently was hurt during a win over Temple 10 days ago.

Clint Cochran, Gradkowski's freshman replacement, went 16-of-24 for 163 yards and a late rushing TD in his first career start -- but Toledo's first trip to Bulldog Stadium since the 1984 California Bowl wasn't much fun. Cochran was sacked four times, and Toledo managed just two scoring drives despite controlling the ball for more than 37 minutes.

"That's our redshirt freshman you're looking at in his first start, and I thought he did an outstanding job," Toledo coach Tom Amstutz said. "We just needed more help from other players. ... Obviously, you're going to miss an all-conference quarterback, but one player like that isn't any kind of excuse. We need him next week [Oct. 8 against Eastern Michigan]."

The Rockets started well, taking a 7-0 lead into the second quarter on Steve Odom's 36-yard TD reception. Hill and his coaches voiced their displeasure, and Fresno State hammered Toledo for the next two quarters.

"We started a little sluggish, but we had a little chit-chat, a little get-together, and the Bulldogs really played well after that," Hill said.

Capitalizing on two fumbles and another night of superb special-teams play, Fresno State scored 27 points in the second quarter of the mid-major powers' first meeting.

Paul Pinegar threw two touchdown passes, and the Bulldogs posted a blowout despite the Rockets' 304-248 edge in total yards. A big reason was obvious at the line of scrimmage, where Fresno State's powerful offensive line flattened and abused Toledo's defensive front all night.

"We were well-prepared for this game, all across the board," said Sumlin, who had the sixth 100-yard game of his career after a slow start to the season. "I don't think we've reached our potential yet, but we came out strong in the third series and didn't let up very much."

Williams caught a 1-yard scoring pass from Pinegar on Fresno State's first play of the second period, and Sumlin rumbled through the secondary for a 20-yard score on a screen pass.

Just 52 seconds later, the ball popped out of Trinity Dawson's hands and high into the air. It bounced straight to Culver, who returned it 34 yards untouched.

"Turnovers were the emphasis all week in practice," said linebacker Marcus Riley, who had 11 tackles. "Before today, we only had one turnover this season. We were concentrating on stripping the ball, because turnovers lead to points."

After Toledo's Andrew Hawkins fumbled 2 minutes after Dawson's blunder, Fresno State drove for Wendell Mathis' 1-yard TD plunge 25 seconds before halftime.

"You have those fumbles right before halftime and give a team like that a short field, and that's going to hurt," Amstutz said. "We have to rebound and get our focus back together and raise our whole level of football before next game."

Comment

Originally posted by tech fan View Post
                  i bumped the thread i hope spark or someone else can put the link in this thread
                  http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/me...other-day.html

Comment

THANKS SPARK DONT KNOW HOW TO DO IT
                    HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
                    0-0TOP PLAYS

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

Jerry, Go to the link that you want to copy and paste. Move your cursor to the address bar and left click. The entire address will be highlighted. Right click and go to copy. Now go to the thread that you want to paste that link into. Right click and go to paste. That is all there is to it!!

Try It ...

Comment

Working...
                      X