Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will fan violence keep you from going to a game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will fan violence keep you from going to a game?

In this Saturday, Aug. 20, 2011 photo, a police officer holds up a bloodied shirt as they investigate the scene of a shooting just outside of Lot L at Candlestick Park, where the San Francisco 49ers had just finished playing the Oakland Raiders in an NFL football game in San Francisco. (AP Photo/San Francisco Chronicle, MANDATORY CREDIT PHOTOG & CHRONICLE; MAGS OUT; NO SALES; TV OUT

In this Saturday, Aug. 20, 2011 photo, a police officer holds up a bloodied shirt as they investigate the scene of a shooting just outside of Lot L at Candlestick Park, where the San Francisco 49ers had just finished playing the Oakland Raiders in an NFL football game in San Francisco

Are you having second thoughts about going to a ballgame?

On Saturday, two fans were shot and injured at a Raiders-49ers preseason game at Candlestick Park. In a separate incident at that game, a fan was knocked unconscious in a bathroom. You may recall that a few months earlier, a baseball fan was severely beaten outside Dodger Stadium.

Some will note that both incidents occurred in California.

Locally, we had a fan run on the field at Kauffman Stadium and a player hit by a piece of a bobblehead at the Sporting Kansas City game. Both happened in the last week. Of course neither was as serious as what happened in California.

But are fans starting to get out of control? Some fans believe that buying a ticket to a game gives them the right to act however they want in the stands. Alcohol consumed before and during a game often makes them act boorish at best and threatening at worst.

That can make it a less-than-desirable environment for families, particularly parents with small children.

Is the atmosphere at sporting events worse now than, say, five years ago? Worse than 10 years ago?

SAN FRANCISCO -- A man wearing a shirt slamming the San Francisco 49ers was seriously wounded as gunfire erupted in the parking lot after the team's NFL preseason game, while another man sustained lesser injuries in an earlier shooting, police said.

The violence occurred after the 49ers' 17-3 victory Saturday night over the Oakland Raiders at Candlestick Park, police Sgt. Michael Andraychak said.

A 24-year-old man was treated at San Francisco General Hospital for life-
    threatening injuries, and a 20-year-old man was hospitalized with less serious wounds, police said. Their names were not released.

The violence comes months after a San Francisco Giants fan was severely beaten by two men in Los Angeles Dodgers gear outside Dodger Stadium after the teams' season opener March 31. Two suspects have been charged in the case.

Police Sgt. Frank Harrell said that in Saturday's attack the 24-year-old man, who was wearing a T-shirt referring to the 49ers with an obscenity, was shot two to four times in the stomach, according to reports in the Oakland Tribune and the San Francisco Chronicle. He drove his truck to a gate and stumbled to security, Harrell said.

The other man was shot before that in the parking lot and had superficial face injuries, Harrell said.

"We are treating it as separate shootings, but we believe they are related," Harrell told reporters outside the stadium.

Harrell said police took a man in a Raiders jersey off a party bus before it left the stadium and were calling him a suspect.

The suspect and the two victims had all attended the game, Harrell told the newspapers.

The 49ers issued a statement acknowledging the shootings and the investigation, but offering no further details.

In violence during the game, the Oakland Tribune reported that a 26-year-old San Rafael man was assaulted and knocked unconscious in a men's restroom. Police said he was hospitalized and a suspect was arrested. There was no immediate indication that it was connected to the postgame shootings.

In the Giants fan attack in March, the two men accused in the beating, Louie Sanchez, 28, and Marvin Norwood, 30, have pleaded not guilty.

Bryan Stow, a Santa Cruz paramedic, suffered severe brain injuries and remains hospitalized.

Stow's doctor said this month that he has made "significant improvement" despite a series of ups and downs since his near-fatal attack. He said Stow is awake, breathing on his own, can move slightly and has been able to interact with his family.

The attack drew widespread attention and focusing the spotlight on security at Dodger Stadium, and the intense rivalry among Dodgers and Giants fans.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

No, because most of this shit happens in California... Where there are multiple gangs. I dont really go to sporting events anyway.

Comment

Damn California is really going crazy.Ever since Gov Arnold left they have done nothing but fight.
              MLB 2012***100-98 +$215 OR +2.15 UNITS
              HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
              0-0TOP PLAYS

NCAA FBL 2011-2012**** 26-23

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

Yes with my health issues I would be a sitting duck. People are crazy.

Comment

Baltimore

BALTIMORE - A brutal fist fight between a Chiefs fan and three Ravens fans is caught on YouTube.

The fight shows what witnesses describe as a Chiefs fan punch a Ravens fan. The Ravens fan fell to the ground. Then, two other Ravens fans jumped into the fight.

Eventually, the two Ravens fans knocked the Chiefs fan to the ground and continued to pound him.

You can hear a woman in the video, yelling for everyone to stop fighting. She even throws a drink on them.

Eventually, other people, including the Ravens security staff, helped diffuse the situation.

The Ravens released this statement to ABC2News. “We’re vigilant about security at our games and always looking for ways to better the fan experience. We will not tolerate that type of behavior.”

Baltimore City Police say two people involved in the fight were named in the police report. One of them is a 23-year-old from Massachusetts. He's believed to be the Chiefs fan. The other is 20-year-old Christopher West from Ellicott City.

Comment

Bring the mofos on !!! KB's got my back !!!

Seriously, it is scary to go to events, especially if you bring a family.
                    I don't mind going to the Superdome but if you can't park in their parking lots (if it gets filled) and you have to park a few blocks away, it is dangerous.

That's why you buy big screen TV's !!!
                    jc Wishes He Can Get A Goat

Comment

Looks like it's mostly Hispanics/Latinos involved in these fights. Gang members I would guess...

Comment

I used to go to a ton of games every year in the 4 major sports. The last 2-3 years i rarely go at all. Things are ridiculously priced from tickets to food to parking. I also find it 100 times more comfortable at home watching in this day and age of 60 inch HDTV's and such. Better view and better replays.

Not really worried at all about the fighting and stuff. It's more about the stuff i just mentioned.

It seems to me that most of the people in these fights were looking for trouble and usually when that happens you find it. If you go to these games and mind your business, you shouldn't have any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovedoc View Post
                          No, because most of this shit happens in California... Where there are multiple gangs. I would much rather hang out in gay sports bars and sword fight.
                          Thanks for sharing doctor.
                          DON'T YOU EAT THE YELLOW SNOW !! PS-MARVIN LOVES SPLIT SALAD !!

Comment

Fullerton Police are the biggest gang in California!

Comment

That Raven fan got knocked the Fuck out!Bahahahaha
                              Questions, comments, complaints:
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X