Cubs fire general manager Jim Hendry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs fire general manager Jim Hendry

The Cubs have fired general manager Jim Hendry, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Hendry, who had been with the organization since 1994, was under contract through the 2012 season.

Read more: Cubs fire general manager Jim Hendry - MLB - Sporting News

"My family and I appreciate Jim's dedication during our time with the Cubs and thank him for his overall 17 years of service to the Cubs organization," Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts said in a statement. "It is time for a fresh approach in our baseball leadership and our search begins immediately for our next general manager."

Hendry was told July 22 that he wouldn't be retained, the Chicago Tribune reports. He explained that was one reason the team wasn't active prior to the July 31 nonwaiver trading deadline.

"We're here to win games, and in the last couple of years, we didn't win enough. ... I will leave here with nothing but gratefulness for being part of this organization for 17 years. Not many people get a chance to do that," Hendry told reporters Friday, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Hendry has come under fire for the team's poor play in recent seasons, including its 54-70 record this season. In addition this season, Hendry has dealt with the ongoing Carlos Zambrano saga and second-guessing about his decision to hire first-year manager Mike Quade.

Since taking over as GM in July 2002, Hendry has been unable to end the Cubs' World Series drought—they last won a championship in 1908—and has been criticized for several bad and expensive signings. Among them: outfielders Alfonso Soriano, Milton Bradley and Kosuke Fukudome.

During Hendry's tenure, the Cubs have won three NL Central titles (2003, 2007 and 2008). They advanced to the NLCS in 2003 but lost to the Florida Marlins in the ill-fated seven games series that best known for fan Steve Bartman's interference with a foul ball down the left field line. In 2007 and 2008, the Cubs were swept in the Division Series round.

The Chicago Tribune reports assistant GM Randy Bush will take over as the Cubs' interim GM.

Read more: Cubs fire general manager Jim Hendry - MLB - Sporting News

Comment

WOW Why so soon I mean 17 years give the guy a chance

Comment

now they need to fire sale everyone on this piece of shit team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        jordanrules..................

Comment

They should've traded Rameriz for nothing, but forced someone to take Soriano or Zambrano. Castro, Marmol, Garza, Samardzija and Marshall are the only ones worth keeping around

Comment

Originally posted by BigWeiner View Post
            They should've traded Rameriz for nothing, but forced someone to take Soriano or Zambrano. Castro, Marmol, Garza, Samardzija and Marshall are the only ones worth keeping around
            I agree. I never could understand all the praise for Rameriz. The guy is a bum. No hustle what-so-ever. Seems like he can care less. Just give me my paycheck. Soriano and Zambrano are 2 head-cases.

Give away the entire team. What Chicago should do, in this day and age with the economy the way it is, they should combine teams and close up one of the parks.

Comment

Working...
            X