Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it worth buying the half in either game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it worth buying the half in either game?

I like both favorites, which both sit at 3.5. Betjamaica puts a premium on buying the half off of 3.5 (25% instead of the normal 10%). So it is either -3.5 @ -110 or -3 @ -135. seems pretty steep to me, would you buy the half or just leave it alone?
    Last edited by harold_bush; 01-21-2011, 05:56 PM.

If I liked the faves, I'd probably buy the halves.

Comment

You have to buy the hooks. If you lose, it simply isn't going to be that big of a deal. If you play it at 3.5 and it is tied in the 4th or won by a FG, You will want to pull your hair out. If they win by 4+, it won't matter anyway!

Comment

How about playing the Money Line and just betting a little bit less?
        Thats what I do sometimes when I just want to be concerned about who wins the game and not by how much.
        I am not a big fan of teasers but perhaps a small one here with the two favorites could be in order if you like both favorites.
        Last edited by savage1; 01-21-2011, 07:52 PM.

Comment

ps I Don't mean to belabor this but you could also bet say 1/2 of your bet at 3 1/2 or 3 if you buy the 1/2 point and the other half on the ML-that would protect you better if one or both of the favorites lose outright.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218 View Post
            You have to buy the hooks. If you lose, it simply isn't going to be that big of a deal. If you play it at 3.5 and it is tied in the 4th or won by a FG, You will want to pull your hair out. If they win by 4+, it won't matter anyway!
            Agree a bunch

Comment

In the NFL 3' is a trap line Vegas uses to get suckers to take the underdog. If a line stays at 3' all week then bet the favorite, if the line stays at 2' all week then bet the underdog. 3' means Vegas thinks the favorite will win by a touchdown, 2' means Vegas thinks the underdog wins outright!

TOUCHDOWN FAT BOY!

I was Born my Pappy's Son,
              When I hit the ground, I was on the Run!
              Jon E. Checkers

Comment

No

I never ever buy points. Neither of these games will land on 3 IMO. If you like the favorites at 3 that means in order for you to "win" the wager and collect money they need to win by 4pts. So you are paying extra juice to what play for a push to save $$$ if it lands on 3 like 20-17 or 24-21? So you lose if they land on 3. so what? So if you arent a winner at 3 all you are doing is avoiding losing on the hook by paying 25 extra in juice. I wouldnt do it but ....what do i know
                2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Originally posted by 10DimeBry View Post
                  No

I never ever buy points. Neither of these games will land on 3 IMO. If you like the favorites at 3 that means in order for you to "win" the wager and collect money they need to win by 4pts. So you are paying extra juice to what play for a push to save $$$ if it lands on 3 like 20-17 or 24-21? So you lose if they land on 3. so what? So if you arent a winner at 3 all you are doing is avoiding losing on the hook by paying 25 extra in juice. I wouldnt do it but ....what do i know
                  That is kind of what I was thinking, but I know my money management skills aren't the best, which is why I asked.

If you bet $100 on both games and bought the half for each you are risking an add'l $50 or $25 per game. Seems like a big price when like you said you aren't buying the difference between a win and loss, but a loss and a tie. Over the course of time it would seem that would cost you.

Comment

I wrote an article years ago regarding buying points on 3 and 3.5. The conclusion that I came to it wasn't worth buying the points as the half point didn't come into play very often.

Comment

Here are the numbers, no opinion on the subject, just info for anyone interested. This is for a $1000 per game wager for 100 games played.

1000X=(100-X)1250
                      1000X=125000-1250X
                      2250X=125000
                      X=55.556 GAMES TO BREAK EVEN.

SO 56 WINS PAYS 56000 AND 44 LOSSES COSTS YOU 55000. Now if you save yourself one time by buying the half point and gain a push instead of losing the money. You would win 56000 and lose 53750 for a total profit of 2250. I you save yourself 2 times out of 100 games, win 56000 and lose 52500 and profit 3500. Another way of looking at this is if you think it will save you 2 times out of 100 it will reduce your win % to 54% to break even.

If you play with straight 10% juice, everyone knows this magic number to profit.

1000X=(100-X)1100
                      1000X=110000-1100x
                      2100X=110000
                      X=52.4

Win 53 games 53000 and Lose 47 games 51700 for a profit of $1300.
                      Let's Hammer the Book.

Comment

What is lost here and I know some may disagree, is that imo there is a bell curve on buying points, betting money lines, etc. in all sports and not just on the 3 and 3.5 points in the NFL.
                        Some folks are simply better at it than are others and in short have a good intuitive sense of when should and should not buy points.
                        Thus, the stats stated above while they can be used as a guide, are not conclusive.
                        In this instance,I say if one feels he has been successful in buying points and has a hunch that a game or games might be close to the 3 or 3 1/2, then I say by all means go for it!

Comment

great information, thanks for all the input guys.

Comment

Working...
                          X