Sources: Adrian Gonzalez to Red Sox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sources: Adrian Gonzalez to Red Sox

The Boston Red Sox have agreed to a deal in principle to acquire slugging first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Saturday morning.

The Red Sox have received permission from Major League Baseball to negotiate with Gonzalez on a new contract, the sources said, and Gonzalez's physical examination, one of the last hurdles to the deal, could happen Saturday, as Gonzalez was in Boston after being flown in by the team.

The Padres would not receive any established major league players in the trade, but it's likely the Red Sox would include their top pitching prospect, Casey Kelly, sources have said. Red Sox prospects Anthony Rizzo and Ryan Kalish also have been brought up as possible pieces, sources said.

Sources told Olney it's very possible the Gonzalez deal would mean the end of Adrian Beltre's time with the Red Sox, because although Kevin Youkilis could move to left field, Boston's preference probably would be to shift Youkilis to third base.

Gonzalez is the Padres' most popular player with great crossover appeal to the team's Mexican-American market, a native son who carried San Diego to within a game of a playoff spot in 2010.

He is signed through 2011 at $6.3 million. The Padres exercised his 2011 option Nov. 1. His contract called for a $5.5 million salary, but performance bonuses pushed the figure above $6 million.

Acquiring Gonzalez, while signing one of two free-agent outfielders, Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth, would give the Red Sox their most potent offensive lineup since the Manny Ramirez trade to the Dodgers in 2008 and make clear why they were willing to lose free agents Victor Martinez and potentially Beltre.

The Red Sox have long coveted the 28-year-old Gonzalez. As far back as the 2009 trading deadline, the Red Sox made a pitch for Gonzalez, a three-time All-Star who last season finished fourth in balloting for the National League's Most Valuable Player.

The 6-foot-2, 225-pound left-handed hitter batted .298 with 31 home runs and 101 RBIs for the Padres last season. He finished fifth in the National League in on-base percentage (.393), ninth in slugging (.511) and led the league in hitting with runners in scoring position (.407).

Opposing pitchers issued 35 intentional walks to Gonzalez last season, a number exceeded only by Albert Pujols.

In addition to his offensive prowess, Gonzalez is a gifted defender, having won two Gold Gloves in five full seasons.

Not having to give up any established ML Player is amazing really when i heard Ellsbury & Buchholz could both be included originally.

Comment

I liked this guy even more when he smoked that guy who charged the mound..Nationals player I believe.
      NBA is a joke

Comment

Must be nice to have owners willing to spend for top talent. Tight wad fucking chubs...

Comment

What is San Diego's excuse?

Their attendance is almost as high as Boston and they're in a rather large market.

They act like they have rotten fans, like Tampa or Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post

Their attendance is almost as high as Boston and they're in a rather large market.

Ditto! Agreed!

Comment

Great move for the Sox and a steal for what they are giving up(or actually don't have to give up) in return.
              Last edited by savage1; 12-04-2010, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I think if the padres get rizzo Kelly and iglesis that's not a bad trade for them. If the red sox get Crawford that will be huge.

Comment

I'm done with the Padres. Fuk em. Now they are trying to trade Heath Bell. Can't see how anybody can stay loyal to this franchise.
                  MLB (2014): (3-4) -.9 units

Comment

Always rebuilding is annoying. They've had a chance to make the playoffs and make the playoffs and made no moves to try to win the thing

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post

Do the Padres have a record 600 and something consecutive game sellouts as do the Sox?
                      Do they get anywhere near the tv and other revenues that the Sox do?
                      Are they in the playoff hunt just about every year as Sox are, meaning Sox have accumulated tons or money over the last few years from various sources other than attendance.
                      Last edited by savage1; 12-04-2010, 11:39 AM.

Comment

No they get no where near the TV revenue the Red Sox do and the ticket prices are at least twice as much in Boston also.

Comment

Originally posted by gizmo View Post
                          No they get no where near the TV revenue the Red Sox do and the ticket prices are at least twice as much in Boston also.
                          Good point about the ticket prices.

Comment

u get fucked in the drivethru and in the northeast on ticket prices

Comment

Originally posted by gizmo View Post
                              in the northeast on ticket prices

You got that right. Can't get a Red Sox, Celtics or Patriots ticket without giving up your 1st born child. It is so ridiculous. You can get a ticket for $100 but it is either in a place where you can't see or it is 4 miles from the field or court. I stopped going to all of them. I just refuse to do it and pay anymore and i'd rather just watch on tv.

The Sox are putting up the cash but believe me, the fans up here pay for it bigtime!

Comment

Working...
                              X