McNabb surprised by release of Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McNabb surprised by release of Johnson

Quarterback Donovan McNabb was among many players surprised that the Redskins on Tuesday released two-time Pro Bowl running back Larry Johnson.

"I didn't see that coming," McNabb said Wednesday at Redskins Park. "Obviously, it's the nature of the business. I'm sure he understands that as well. Obviously, we [players] found out late. We understand that now, I guess."

Johnson had only five rushes for two yards in the first two games. A team official informed Johnson's agent that the team could no longer afford the luxury of having Johnson on the roster because he and starter Clinton Portis do not play special teams. Several players who participate on teams are said to be injured, and the team signed Chad Simpson to fill Johnson's spot on the 53-man roster. A third-year pro, Simpson spent 2008-09 with Indianapolis, where he returned 53 kickoffs.

But with the Redskins struggling in the running game, it's surprising they cut loose Johnson, McNabb said.

"I really didn't see that coming. I didn't see that coming, and I don't think anyone saw that coming," he said. "Especially when you're trying to get things going in the run game. With a running back of his caliber and the things he's been able to do, and what we want to do here, I think you would kind of, somehow, work it so it works out in our favor."

Redskins Insider - McNabb surprised by release of Johnson

I was somewhat surprised he made the team coming out of camp. He wasn't any good at all in the preseason. He's clearly lost more than a step and he wasn't doing much more than taking up a roster spot. He did nothing with his limited chances. I think Shanahan was just concerned about keeping 2 rookies behind Portis. It's not that Portis has been lights out either. That's partially on the O line but it's clear once these backs hit their late 20's, most of them lose it. The Redskins are the only team since 2002 to not draft a running back. I think that will be changing next year...

Comment

Working...
    X