Sonnen tested positive !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonnen tested positive !

Even with PED'S he still couldn't beat silva !!!!

Sonnen’s failure shows PEDs still a problem
    Kevin Iole

I have no idea of the actual percentage of mixed martial arts fighters who are using anabolic steroids. Dennis Hallman, an Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight, estimated during an appearance on HDNet’s “Inside MMA” in June that 50 percent “easy” of all fighters in the sport are using steroids. UFC president Dana White disputed Hallman’s contention and suggested the real figure is far lower.

Hallman apologized for his words while still in the cage after a win over Ben Saunders at Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif., on Aug. 7 in an undercard fight at UFC 117, undoubtedly after having received significant peer pressure to do so.

The industry-leading Ultimate Fighting Championship spends literally millions of dollars a year to try to prevent the steroid problem and hosts a mandatory annual fighter summit in Las Vegas in which Drug Enforcement Agency officials speak to the fighters about the ramification of performance enhancing drugs usage.

Yet, despite the UFC’s attempts to educate and the various state athletic commissions’ rigorous testing procedures, fighters continue to use, clearly because they believe the reward outweighs the risk.

On Saturday, Sherdog.com reported that UFC middleweight Chael Sonnen flunked a post-fight urinalysis after his loss to Anderson Silva in the middleweight title fight that was the main event of UFC 117.

George Dodd, executive officer of the California State Athletic Commission, told reporter Greg Savage that Sonnen received notice of the failed test on Friday. Dodd did not specify to Savage what substance was detected in Sonnen’s urine, though he did say that all fighters tested on the card passed their tests for drugs of abuse.

Sonnen is the second prominent UFC fighter in the last month to be tied to steroids. An assistant U.S. attorney in Alabama mentioned heavyweight contender Shane Carwin’s name as a recipient of steroids shipments during the Aug. 13 sentencing of a Mobile, Ala., pharmacist who was found guilty of participating in a nationwide conspiracy to distribute steroids.

It’s a serious problem with no easy solution. If the California commission concludes that Sonnen did use a performance-enhancing drug prior to his fight with Silva, it will fine him and suspend him, likely for nine months to a year.

That will mean no lucrative championship rematch with Silva in January or February, which in and of itself will cost Sonnen hundreds of thousands of dollars. When you add in the fine and the loss of a fight, plus what likely will be a drop in endorsement income, it will probably wind up costing Sonnen in excess of $1 million.

White, who said he does not know the particulars of Sonnen’s situation, was exasperated on Sunday. He wants to eradicate steroids from the sport, but is realistic enough to know how difficult it is and is compassionate enough that he doesn’t want to bury someone further.

“What else do I do?” White said. “We’ve spent millions of dollars – literally, millions of dollars – to try to get this thing regulated so they can be tested by the government. Do you know how much it costs us to put on that fighter seminar every year? Let me tell you, we’re bringing guys in from all over the world. We have guys from England, Germany, Croatia, Australia, Korea. We have 350 guys under contract and they’re coming from all over the world. It costs us a (expletive) ton, but we do it because it’s important.

“When one of them fails a test, the government is going to fine them and suspend them and tell them they can’t make a living for a year. So should I come in after they’ve already lost the ability to make a living for a year and been fined all this money and, in the worst economic disaster in the history of the world, fine them another huge amount and take away their ability to make a living even longer?

“These are guys with homes and families and personal lives and bills and debts and obligations, just like me and you,” White said. “After they lost all this money already, money that, A, they’ve probably already spent and B, which they owe taxes, do I fine them another huge amount? What else do you do to a human being?”

White’s point is valid, but the problem arises if a fighter is seriously injured by an opponent who was enhanced by steroids. At that stage, the very foundation of the sport will be threatened.

Sonnen was considered nothing more than a journeyman until a surprisingly dominant victory over Yushin Okami at UFC 104 last year. He followed that up with an extraordinary performance in a win over Nate Marquardt at UFC 109 that earned him the title shot against Silva. He then pummeled Silva for the better part of four rounds, handling Silva like no one in the UFC had ever done so before, until Silva’s late triangle choke decided the fight.

MMA doesn’t have the public and political acceptance that football and baseball do. A steroids-aided linebacker who drills a running back and gives him a concussion won’t do much to enrage the public or garner the attention of lawmakers.

Let that happen in MMA, however, and there could be all sorts of government inquiries.

More pre-fight testing would help, but state athletic commissions are working with drastically reduced budgets and can’t afford to expand pre-fight testing significantly.

Part of the solution should be a public-private partnership in which promoters contribute a fee per ticket sold to states for more frequent testing and to help fund development of superior testing methods.

In the long run, though, it will be up to the fighters to eradicate steroids from the sport. They need to understand the risks of usage, to themselves, to their opponents and to their sport. If a push to eliminate performance-enhancing drugs from MMA doesn’t come from the fighters, it will never be truly effective.

“When one of them fails a test, the government is going to fine them and suspend them and tell them they can’t make a living for a year. So should I come in after they’ve already lost the ability to make a living for a year and been fined all this money and, in the worst economic disaster in the history of the world, fine them another huge amount and take away their ability to make a living even longer?

“These are guys with homes and families and personal lives and bills and debts and obligations, just like me and you,” White said. “After they lost all this money already, money that, A, they’ve probably already spent and B, which they owe taxes, do I fine them another huge amount? What else do you do to a human being?”

What is it they don't have rules in place stating that if you're caught taking steroids you will be fined by the MMA and suspended? If not then they should have them in place. That should be enough incentive for them not to be taking the risk. Unless the risk of taking them helps them by giving them an advantage which ranks them higher which brings in more money & more promotions.

And the MMA is acting like they can't afford to do pre-testing? I thought they were raking in the money.

Comment

If Dana White knows he can make more $$$$$ with the guys on the PED's then i think he will try to hide it as long as possible.Although very different inside the cage not much difference between wWe and UFC. Its all about entertainment and just like Wwe and Baseball fans will pay to see 2 Huge guys showing power and going at it than 2 guys that are just good at what they do.Anyone ever watch Pete Rose or Ichiro take BP hell no they want to see Bonds Sosa etc...Just like Vince Mcmann he knows what the fans pay to see.Of course he says he tries to control it also.Even though its unfair to the true athletes fans will pay to see the roided athletes more often
      MLB 2012***100-98 +$215 OR +2.15 UNITS
      HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
      0-0TOP PLAYS

NCAA FBL 2011-2012**** 26-23

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

Wwe says they drug test all the time.Let me tell u if John Cena ever tested positive do u really think we would find out.Hell no what they do is catch the little guys the not so famous guys say they were using PED's fine them and suspend them 6 months.Makes people think hey they are really doing something about it when really they allow the main eventers to go free because of the $$$$$.now MMA is different in the fact that RESPECT is a major thing within the cage so the integrity of the sport is high.But really if Silva or Lesnar tested positive no one would ever find out.
        HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
        0-0TOP PLAYS

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

Originally posted by tech fan View Post
          Wwe says they drug test all the time.Let me tell u if John Cena ever tested positive do u really think we would find out.Hell no what they do is catch the little guys the not so famous guys say they were using PED's fine them and suspend them 6 months.Makes people think hey they are really doing something about it when really they allow the main eventers to go free because of the $$$$$.now MMA is different in the fact that RESPECT is a major thing within the cage so the integrity of the sport is high.But really if Silva or Lesnar tested positive no one would ever find out.
          (WHY DO YOU THINK CAIN HASN'T FOUGHT IN OVER A YR BUT BROCK HAS HAD 2 FIGHTS SINCE HIS ILLNESS BECAUSE THEY KNOW ON AN EVEN TRAINING CAMP CAIN WOULD TAKE CARE OF LESNAR NO PROBLEM, SO THEY..(ufc) EFFECTIVELY IS MAKING SURE CAIN HAS RING RUST)your statement is half right, but if silva ever tested positive, dana would hold a press conference asap with a HUGE smile on his face.

there is a lot of misunderstanding with silva, i know you said you don't like him tech but trust me, he acts the way he does because he sees what they do for guys EXACTLY like lesnar....if you think he even gets 30 % of what lesnar makes per fight your wrong....hard to believe right ? it's the truth....Hughes got a 100,000 bonus for his last win....Anderson made a little more than half that in his last fight. Does the UFC protect fighters of course they do, anderson silva is DEFINITELY NOT 1 of them. if you only knew all the B.S tech you would hate lesnar and like silva...trust me.

IMO lesnar has tested positive and was given a suspension but the ufc told everyone that he was sick, remember how long he was out for yep just about a year....what a surprise that is the lenght of a PED positive test.

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat View Post

What is it they don't have rules in place stating that if you're caught taking steroids you will be fined by the MMA and suspended? If not then they should have them in place. That should be enough incentive for them not to be taking the risk. Unless the risk of taking them helps them by giving them an advantage which ranks them higher which brings in more money & more promotions.

And the MMA is acting like they can't afford to do pre-testing? I thought they were raking in the money.
            there are definiteley rules monte not only for this country but each promotion has it's own set of rules as well, that is why dana says should i fine them even more, because they automatically get fined, anywhere from 10 grand to 90 grand depending upon the drug, and AC. they are also stripped of fighting in this country for 1 year, that is automatic without the ufc or strikeforce or bellator doing anything.

maybe ufc rakes in $ with PPV but for the hardcore fans out there that are into all the different promotions, (basically how you get to the ufc) these fights are very expensive to put on, a lot more expensive than boxing, they also cover some hospital/medical work for the fighters which they do not do in boxing because boxing purses are much higher.

Comment

Originally posted by MR Pain View Post
              (WHY DO YOU THINK CAIN HASN'T FOUGHT IN OVER A YR BUT BROCK HAS HAD 2 FIGHTS SINCE HIS ILLNESS BECAUSE THEY KNOW ON AN EVEN TRAINING CAMP CAIN WOULD TAKE CARE OF LESNAR NO PROBLEM, SO THEY..(ufc) EFFECTIVELY IS MAKING SURE CAIN HAS RING RUST)your statement is half right, but if silva ever tested positive, dana would hold a press conference asap with a HUGE smile on his face.

there is a lot of misunderstanding with silva, i know you said you don't like him tech but trust me, he acts the way he does because he sees what they do for guys EXACTLY like lesnar....if you think he even gets 30 % of what lesnar makes per fight your wrong....hard to believe right ? it's the truth....Hughes got a 100,000 bonus for his last win....Anderson made a little more than half that in his last fight. Does the UFC protect fighters of course they do, anderson silva is DEFINITELY NOT 1 of them. if you only knew all the B.S tech you would hate lesnar and like silva...trust me.

IMO lesnar has tested positive and was given a suspension but the ufc told everyone that he was sick, remember how long he was out for yep just about a year....what a surprise that is the lenght of a PED positive test.

oh i agree.I was just using Silva's name because he is or was the #1 pound for pound.I know White hates or says he hates Silva,but i feel like he would protect him even if he did cheat only because it would turn alot of the casual fans off of the sport just because they say damn this shit is so messed up the #1 ranked guy tested positive i am sure everyone else did.I amn not saying he would protect Silva because he hates him i think white knows that $$$$$$ is $$$$$$ and Silva brings $$$$$$$.Also the fact that Lesnar tested positive and be sick a year i thought about that also.They even used the fact of him being sick so that if he came back from the sickness{suspension} and lost alot of muscle or weight they could blame it on being sick.
              HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
              0-0TOP PLAYS

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

you want to see somebody juiced guys,check out josh thompson on the strikeforce card the other night-that dude was roid raging over my boy jz !!
                DON'T YOU EAT THE YELLOW SNOW !! PS-MARVIN LOVES SPLIT SALAD !!

Comment

Originally posted by WayneChung View Post
                  you want to see somebody juiced guys,check out josh thompson on the strikeforce card the other night-that dude was roid raging over my boy jz !!
                  not that jz does not do the same thing,guys it goes with the territory-long term the roids are so bad on your body-if people want to kill themselves quicker-whats the big deal-they are not stopping this problem quickly,no way-its an ugly part of sports the last 20-25 years and i for one have no easy answer for it as i am coming off a cycle right now !!
                  DON'T YOU EAT THE YELLOW SNOW !! PS-MARVIN LOVES SPLIT SALAD !!

Comment

sonnen did beat silva though........he just didnt finish the fight and got an arm bar up his ass...

Comment

Originally posted by DAREALDEAL View Post
                      sonnen did beat silva though........he just didnt finish the fight and got an arm bar up his ass...
                      your comment is somewhat funny to me realdeal, (and that is because anderson has always been my favorite fighter from like 1999.) you say sonnen beat silva, but he didn't finish the fight.....

I know Anderson Silva finished the fight by tapping that juiced up trash talking prick.

Da real deal is Sonnen was beating the sh!t out of anderson for 23 and a half minutes, i acknowledge that, but he did NOT win the fight, Anderson has NOT lost in the octagon, and i know because i have taken him every single time posted on this site.

when he retires he will have his skills on full display in the name of a man called jose aldo, amongst others.....yea i have also posted him every single time he has fought in the octagon...wouldn't you know it he hasn't lost yet either.

just a FACT Sonnen lost....even with Roids he couldn't beat silva....the best part of the story is how he warned the commission that his test might come back with elevated levels of test, Ummm why ?

Comment

Working...
                      X