NFLPA on Dez Bryant Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFLPA on Dez Bryant Situation

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said Wednesday the treatment of Dallas Cowboys first-round pick Dez Bryant and other prospective draft picks needs to be conducted in a professional manner.

Mike & Mike in the Morning

Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic discuss the controversy surrounding Miami Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland and Dallas Cowboys WR Dez Bryant. Ireland had asked Bryant if Bryant's mother was a prostitute in a meeting the two had before the NFL draft.

Smith was reacting to Bryant being asked if his mother was a prostitute by Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland during a predraft visit in March.

Ireland apologized to Bryant on Tuesday after a Yahoo! Sports report said Ireland asked the question of Bryant.

Dolphins owner Steve Ross declined to comment on the matter and Bill Parcells, a former Cowboys coach, who is now an executive with the Dolphins was unavailable for comment. Parcells hired Ireland.

"We need to make sure the men of this league are treated as businessmen," Smith said in a statement. "During interviews, our players and prospective players should never be subjected to discrimination or degradation stemming from the biases or misconceptions held by team personnel. NFL teams cannot have the free reign to ask questions during the interview process which can be categorized as stereotyping or which may bring a personal insult to any player as a man."

Bryant has not commented on the incident since Ireland apologized.

Although I think the question was a little out of line (remember this is kb speaking, and i'm not offended by hardly anything) I don't think the question was intended to infict any harm. I think it was more of a reactionary question, to see if Dez would flip over the table and get in the guy's face, or if he could remain calm after being insulted like that. Dez's character was quite a topic in draft rooms across the NFL I imagine, and this was a "see how he'll react" question imo.

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21 View Post
      Although I think the question was a little out of line (remember this is kb speaking, and i'm not offended by hardly anything) I don't think the question was intended to infict any harm. I think it was more of a reactionary question, to see if Dez would flip over the table and get in the guy's face, or if he could remain calm after being insulted like that. Dez's character was quite a topic in draft rooms across the NFL I imagine, and this was a "see how he'll react" question imo.

So if you went to a job interview you would not be offended if someone ask you if you knew if your mom gave good head? As a man and as a son you have the right to kick that person's ass!!!!!!!!!!!! No one has the right to belittle you!!!!!!!! This guy is being interviewed to play football. You know the game that teaches people to hit people!!!!!! Not to be a prison guard!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by buddyluv1968 View Post
        So if you went to a job interview you would not be offended if someone ask you if you knew if your mom gave good head? As a man and as a son you have the right to kick that person's ass!!!!!!!!!!!! No one has the right to belittle you!!!!!!!! This guy is being interviewed to play football. You know the game that teaches people to hit people!!!!!! Not to be a prison guard!!!!
        No, it would not bother me. I'm not the type of guy who takes offense at stupid shit like that.

Comment

No, it would not bother me. I'm not the type of guy who takes offense at stupid shit like that.
          At 41 I probably would say next question and get an attorney... Now at 22 I would have kicked someone's A$$......

Comment

Wonder if anyone is coming to the defense of the white running back who was the center of attention with remarks from a scout stating he would be a first-rounder if he was black? Will look for the link to story.

And I think this apology to Bryant oddly comes only AFTER the story gets out.

Comment

Anyone feel differently on this knowing the circumstances that went on beforehand now?

Comment

Anyone feel differently on this knowing the circumstances that went on beforehand now?
                Here's how I heard the questions went:

Q. What did your dad do for a living?
                A. He was a pimp
                Q. What did your Mom do?
                A. She worked for my Dad
                Q. Was she a prostitute?
                A. No

This was from the Dan Patrick Show

Comment

Originally posted by ToDaClub View Post
                  Here's how I heard the questions went:

Q. What did your dad do for a living?
                  A. He was a pimp
                  Q. What did your Mom do?
                  A. She worked for my Dad
                  Q. Was she a prostitute?
                  A. No

This was from the Dan Patrick Show
                  Exactly! After seeing that, I definitely have ZERO problem with the question asked.

Comment

Exactly! After seeing that, I definitely have ZERO problem with the question asked.
                    I feel the same KB, it's just amazing how shit can be turned around and reported to make it sound worse than it is. Still a gutsy question to ask anyone IMO but, when you hear it this way, it doesn't sound as bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X