Why No Face Mask Call in the Green Bay Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ravenmaniac View Post
    It doesn't have to be a twist or a violent tug for the referee to call it. I have seen face mask penalties called all year where a defender barely brushed the face-mask so the amount of violence involved is a moot point. As for the referee only having 2 eyes, what about the other 12 eyes on the field. The referee isn't the only one who could have made the call.
    Someone stated this already but each ref, ump, line judge, etc... has his own job assignment, so I would assume they were doing their job and watching their part of the field and/or players

and I also agree on the "NO CALL" it was not a violent facemask, he did pull it down a lil bit and it also did not help in forcing the fumble, the fumble had already occured before the facemask...would have been a real shitty end to the zona season if they called that and we would be discussing the BS facemask call in a different thread

Comment

Did anyone else see a face mask on Arron Rodgers on the last play of the game. The blitzer, Michael Adams appeared to grab his face mask and drag him to the ground just as he lost the ball. I thought a face mask penalty should have been called but I haven't heard anyone mention it. Did it happen or am I dreamingt. Just wondering.
      It didn't appear, he did grab it. Maybe with the ball being loose it caused the ref to to look down at what was going on with the ball and he or they missed the grabbing of the facemask.

Comment

It doesn't have to be a twist or a violent tug for the referee to call it. I have seen face mask penalties called all year where a defender barely brushed the face-mask so the amount of violence involved is a moot point. As for the referee only having 2 eyes, what about the other 12 eyes on the field. The referee isn't the only one who could have made the call.

Rule 5: Goodbye to the 5-yard Incidental Facemask- A quick grab of the facemask is no longer a punishable offense. Grab hold and try to unscrew his noggin, it’s still 15 yards.

The rulebook states that no players shall “twist, turn or pull the facemask of an opponent in any direction.”

Comment

I don't know why everyone is trying to justify this no call. Must have had $ on the Cards. It was a blatant face mask that should have been called. The officials fucked up by missing the call.

Comment

I don't know why everyone is trying to justify this no call. Must have had $ on the Cards. It was a blatant face mask that should have been called. The officials fucked up by missing the call.
            I agree and I was on the Cards ... I think the flag should have been thrown

Comment

It would be like the play clock hitting zero and they snap the ball 3 seconds later and not call a delay of game penalty
              Kinda like with Baltimore against Tennessee last post season? NFL officiating is a joke always has and always will be...
              SOBER SINCE MARCH 28TH OF 2007!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chado1 View Post
                Kinda like with Baltimore against Tennessee last post season? NFL officiating is a joke always has and always will be...
                Maybe if we are lucky the NFL will fire them all and hire CFL refs.

Comment

this is ridiculous..anyone complaining of a no call here obviously still has sour grapes. Was there a face mask penalty? Yeah maybe, it sure looked like it could be called. The MAJOR issue I have with people bitching and moaning about a no call is that the penalty did not effect the play.

You guys are looking for an easy out on this game and that no call is your crutch. Rodgers lost possession of the ball prior to being hit in the facemask and for all intents and purposes the face mask had no bearing on the play. A reversal of that play due to a penalty, in a situation like that, IMO, needs to be far more blatant and has to have more of an effect on the play.

Stop looking for excuses, the cardinals won the game fair and square and put the BS excuses to rest. If you guys want to bitch and complain, bitch and complain about something more pertinent and complain about Rodgers' inability to hold onto the ball or the packers inability to protect him in that situation. Don't blame the zebras for your lost $$.

Comment

"CFB YTD: 5-8-1 -16.2"

Comment

I am not going to sit here and argue with you Mavs, I will respectfully say that I disagree. When a team scores 45 points and loses in OT, blaming the loss on the zebras is not the proper focus.

Comment

Originally posted by NoCashMcgraff View Post
                        this is ridiculous..anyone complaining of a no call here obviously still has sour grapes. Was there a face mask penalty? Yeah maybe, it sure looked like it could be called. The MAJOR issue I have with people bitching and moaning about a no call is that the penalty did not effect the play.

This whole statement is quite false. Everything in the video above, shows this nowhere close to a, "yeah maybe."

You guys are looking for an easy out on this game and that no call is your crutch. Rodgers lost possession of the ball prior to being hit in the facemask and for all intents and purposes the face mask had no bearing on the play. A reversal of that play due to a penalty, in a situation like that, IMO, needs to be far more blatant and has to have more of an effect on the play.

When there is a penalty, referees don't think, "does that effect the play"? How many times has their been holding on the left side of the field, with the ball ran on the right? How many times is there an illegal contact called, but the ball wasn't thrown to him? (But if it didn't effect the play it shouldn't be called?)

Stop looking for excuses, the cardinals won the game fair and square and put the BS excuses to rest.

The video above proves quite to the contrary.

If you guys want to bitch and complain, bitch and complain about something more pertinent and complain about Rodgers' inability to hold onto the ball or the packers inability to protect him in that situation. Don't blame the zebras for your lost $$.

People bitch and complain about everything here, that's what the majority of posts in the in-game thread are everyday.You want to talk about losing money? The man who started the thread didn't have a dime on the game.

Comment

I am not going to sit here and argue with you Mavs, I will respectfully say that I disagree. When a team scores 45 points and loses in OT, blaming the loss on the zebras is not the proper focus.
                          I would not come close the blaming the officials for the loss, don't assume that I do. The Packers defense sucks. The issue is you think there was "maybe" a penalty, when there are very clearly two penalties.

Comment

You want me to find video evidence of the refs missing calls on the Cardinals? I can probably pull up just as many bad calls on them. You think just because their missed calls didn't occur on the last play of the game they aren't as meaningful? I also never said the refs shouldn't throw the flag because it didn't effect the play, I said stop BITCHING about a missed call that didn't effect the play. I still am not certain that that was a facemask and I have seen it over and over, yeah maybe is where I stand.

By the way, if I was as idiotic as some of other the clowns I would laugh at you and your boy Rodgers for choking that game away. On the contrary I still think Rodgers is a stud and a top 5 QB and his 0-1 playoff record doesn't change my opinion.

Comment

Actually, per the offical NFL rule, it DOES have to be a violent tug or twist for it to be called. When the rule was changed the NFL meant to eliminate the 5 yard call and only enforce the 15 yard one. It was not meant to upgrade a 5 to a 15. If you saw a "brush" or something called earlier than that would have been teh incorrect call, not this one.

Btw, I had Arizona teased with the over, so I had already won and the outcome of the play did not effect my bet. And, actually, in the Bettorschat NFL Capping Contest, which I'm in the top 5 and fighting for positioning, I had GB as my pick.

Anyway, you can't expect the back judge, side judge, line judge, etc to make a call like that. They should NOT have been looking at that area of the field. I'm sure you've heard people complain in a basketball game about a call being called from the other side of the court when the guy in front of the play doesn't call it or someone from out of position. The same goes with the NFL. The referee (and I'm not saying that generically, but the actual Referee officiating position) is the sole person that should be looking to make that call. Once the ball is fumbled, that's where his eyes went, as makes sense. I'm guessing when the play happened live your eyes followed the ball too instead of what was going on with the QB after that. Or maybe he just saw the play and correctly applied the rule that a grab of the facemask w/o a twist does not merit a flag.

It's really stupid to argue about this further, as almost every call has opinion involved, but I think you should familiarize yourself more with the NFl rules and officiating assignments before commenting further.
                              O..H.........I..O!

2010 NCAA Football: 4-3-1

2010 NFL: 0-0

2009-2010 NCAA Basketball: 30-23-1

Comment

You want me to find video evidence of the refs missing calls on the Cardinals? I can probably pull up just as many bad calls on them. You think just because their missed calls didn't occur on the last play of the game they aren't as meaningful? I also never said the refs shouldn't throw the flag because it didn't effect the play, I said stop BITCHING about a missed call that didn't effect the play. I still am not certain that that was a facemask and I have seen it over and over, yeah maybe is where I stand.

By the way, if I was as idiotic as some of other the clowns I would laugh at you and your boy Rodgers for choking that game away. On the contrary I still think Rodgers is a stud and a top 5 QB and his 0-1 playoff record doesn't change my opinion.
                                To call others "clowns" is a real asshole move, because no one in this thread is a clown. There are very few "clowns" on this site, but you really are starting to become one.

Aaron Rodgers is not my boy, nor did he "choke the game away", you would have to be an idiot to think that. When a QB scores 45 points...... he didn't choke.

And yes, I defy you to find me to calls that were so blatantly missed as in the video posted.

The NFL is quite clear on protecting the QB and if you watch video of the Fitzgerald TD, where roughing is called on Jolly, you will see that. Jolly is literally pushed by an O-linemen into Warner and the play is called as roughing once Warner goes down.

But go ahead and find me a couple "huge missed calls". I doubt any two, are as blatant with video evidence as these.

Comment

Working...
                                X