Figure Skating question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figure Skating question

Why do goalies sit out about half the games? I mean, what the fuck is so hard about standing between the pipes for an hour a night?

MLB 2012***100-98 +$215 OR +2.15 UNITS
    HUGE PLAYS 2-1

NFL 2011-2012** 6-10
    0-0TOP PLAYS

NCAA FBL 2011-2012**** 26-23

4-1 TOP PLAYS

GOY 33-12 ALL SPORTS

AS of 6/3/12

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21 View Post
      Why do goalies sit out about half the games? I mean, what the fuck is so hard about standing between the pipes for an hour a night?
      They don't do it for rest purposes. It's done to keep both goalies sharp.

Comment

All teams have 2 goalies. Many teams have 2 quality goalies. Many split the regular season 50/50. Then settle on one goalie for the playoffs. Some might do a 75/25 type of split. I've seen teams alternate goalies every game for an entire season.

Comment

From what I have seen, which isn't much, it seems like the number 1 guy is head and shoulders above the backup. I can see an occasional day of rest, but every other game seems a bit much to me. Seems like it would be hard to get any momentum going.

Comment

Here's a better question, why doesn't a team sign someone like King Kong Bundy to be their goalie, is there a rule that you can only be a certain size? Makes no sense to me. I'd sign the biggest guy I could find.

Comment

From what I have seen, which isn't much, it seems like the number 1 guy is head and shoulders above the backup. I can see an occasional day of rest, but every other game seems a bit much to me. Seems like it would be hard to get any momentum going.
              I'm not sure how it is now. I don't follow hockey like I did before moving to Florida. I'm not sure I would classify is at head and shoulders. Comparing it to baseball. Some teams have a #1 and #2 starter (goalie). Others might have #1 and #3. Of course they're might be an exception.

Again, I haven't followed hockey closely in 12 years. Most teams have quality backups.

Comment

Originally posted by BigWeiner View Post
                Here's a better question, why doesn't a team sign someone like King Kong Bundy to be their goalie, is there a rule that you can only be a certain size? Makes no sense to me. I'd sign the biggest guy I could find.
                There's rules about the size of the equipment. I don't believe there's a rule about the size of the goalie. For the reasons you state. Goalies have gotten much bigger over the last 20 years. Most were relatively small. Like in other sports the athletes have gotten bigger.

Comment

Good point BW.Wait till tomorrow and look at the noseguard for Alabama.Ain't no puck getting past his big ass

Comment

Originally posted by vols fan View Post
                    Good point BW.Wait till tomorrow and look at the noseguard for Alabama.Ain't no puck getting past his big ass
                    Yea, especially if the guy had some skill, you'd think at least one team would just have a beast in there.

Comment

They still need to skate and stand on their skates for 60 minutes. Also, the net is 6 feet wide. I'm not sure how many 6 feet wide guys there are. The goalie still needs to move his arms, hands and legs. The shooters are good. They can easily pick the corner on their shots.

I'm not interested in starting a debate. Hockey players are arguably the best athletes of all the major sports.

Comment

With size of an athlete in any sport there are both advantages aswell as disadvantages. An obvious disadvantage when having size is being slow. In reference to your question about having a big goalie creates typical slow lateral movement. They can also be vulnerable to shots that are low as their uppper body (height) is bigger and there is a rule about the size of a goalies pads and equipment. Positioning and rebound control are pretty much the two primary factors a quality goalie possesses which hold no bearing on their size whatsoever
                        SOBER SINCE MARCH 28TH OF 2007!!!

Comment

Hey fellas---#1 playing goalie is extremely draining...having pucks bounce off you all night. Also it is RARE that teams split 50/50...usually it is closer to 75/25. I don't have the exact number so don't quote me but the #1 plays a lot more games.

The season is a grind-other than the top guys, goalies get too drained come playoff time and then you are screwed in the postseason.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Winn View Post
                            Hey fellas---#1 playing goalie is extremely draining...having pucks bounce off you all night. Also it is RARE that teams split 50/50...usually it is closer to 75/25. I don't have the exact number so don't quote me but the #1 plays a lot more games.

The season is a grind-other than the top guys, goalies get too drained come playoff time and then you are screwed in the postseason.
                            It is totally draining. Also teams usually have somewhat decent backups. They will typically use more of a 75/25 rotation throughout the season as Doc says. It is to keep the backup fresh if injury should occur. Also knowing that they have had some playing time to keep them reliable and in game ready shape for the timing and accuracy of NHL shooters
                            SOBER SINCE MARCH 28TH OF 2007!!!

Comment

Rig your fake goalie posts with your beer cans and squat down for 1 hour moving back and forth between the cans.

PS. make sure the cans are empty

Comment

Working...
                              X