• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cool story about fate and Jordan

O'Hare International Airport
    Comment Email Share

George Koehler was cussing to himself.

It was late September in 1984 and Koehler, who owned a limousine service, was at his usual post at O'Hare Airport, holding up a sign for a customer. But as the flight emptied, no one approached him.

"I had just spent 45 minutes parking the car, not to mention paying for parking," Koehler recalled. "Finally, the pilots got off the plane and I asked one of them if there was anyone else aboard and he said, 'Just one more guy. He'll be off in a minute.'
    O'Hare
    AP Photo/FileIt wasn't long after MJ stepped off the plane at O'Hare that he met his first friend in Chicago.

"I waited a few more minutes and then down the tunnel walks Michael."

A Bulls fan, Koehler, then 29 years old, recognized the skinny 21-year-old top draft pick from North Carolina who had lagged behind to sign autographs for the flight crew. Well, almost recognized him.

"I was excited because I knew who he was and I thought, 'Holy smokes, it's Larry Jordan,' " Koehler said. "I played four years in high school with a guy named Larry Jordan so that name was stuck in my memory bank.

When I saw Michael, I said, 'Larry Jordan.'

"He turned to me and said, 'How do you know my brother?' Obviously, I didn't know he had any siblings, much less one named Larry."

Once they cleared that up, Jordan told Koehler he was going to look for a taxi.

"I just wanted to pay for my parking," Koehler said, "so I said, 'I have a limo. I'll take you anywhere you want to go for 25 bucks.' "

Koehler sensed that his passenger was a little uneasy. "I looked in the rearview mirror and I couldn't even see him because he was scrunched down like a little kid," he remembered. "I don't know if he'd been in a stretch limo before; he didn't know anyone in Chicago, I was a stranger and he was obviously a bit nervous that I could drop him off in an alley somewhere."

Instead, Koehler dropped him off at his destination, the famous purple Lincolnwood Hyatt House, not far from where the Bulls practiced at Angel Guardian Gym. Jordan gave him 50 dollars and told him to keep the change, and Koehler gave him his card.

"I told him, 'If you need to know of any places to live, restaurants to eat, you want to go out for a beer, you've got a friend in Chicago. And oh, by the way, congratulations on your gold medal.'"

Two weeks later, Koehler's phone rang.

"I heard, "Georgie, my boy,'" Koehler recalled. "I'm going, 'Who's this?' and he says, 'It's MJ.' I said, 'I don't know any MJ.' And he says, 'Yes, you do.' And I'm like, 'I'm not going to argue, I don't know who this is."

"And he's like, "Dumb [expletive delete], it's Michael Jordan.' I could hear him grinning."

Jordan asked Koehler to pick his parents up from the airport the next day for his first game and the two struck a handshake deal with Koehler taking him back and forth to O'Hare for road trips all season, after which they would return to Jordan's townhouse in Northbrook, where they would spend hours talking.

"We became friends that way," Koehler said. "And 25 years later I don't drive the limo for him, but we're still really close friends. I've met just about everyone under the sun through Michael. If you picked up a book about Michael's life, it would be my life, just Michael's name on the cover. I don't know if you believe in fate, but I obviously do. My whole life could've been different if my customer had showed up that day.

"Michael likes to tell the story and say, 'George was the first person I ever met in Chicago. He gave me a ride and has taken me for a ride ever since.'"

-- Melissa Isaacson
    jordanrules..................

can u imagine now if the #1 pick showed up at the airport and had to get and pay for there own ride??????
    jordanrules..................

Comment

Originally posted by jordanrules23 View Post
      can u imagine now if the #1 pick showed up at the airport and had to get and pay for there own ride??????
      #3 pick.

Great story...
      "CFB YTD: 5-8-1 -16.2"

Comment

Anyone know who the real passenger was supposed to have been? And could it have been MJ?

Comment

Good story..thanks

Comment

This story is a fake because when he said that Jordan gave him $50 for the $25 ride and told him to keep the change, it's blatantly obvious that never happened. Jordan doesn't TIP!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovedoc View Post
              This story is a fake because when he said that Jordan gave him $50 for the $25 ride and told him to keep the change, it's blatantly obvious that never happened. Jordan doesn't TIP!!!!!
              ...you're so right..maybe he only stiffs dealers

Comment

Originally posted by Meg29 View Post
                ...you're so right..maybe he only stiffs dealers
                Meg.. When he arrives for the superbowl this year... Dealers at the Hardrock know they are fucked when he plays.. LOL

Comment

Meg.. When he arrives for the superbowl this year... Dealers at the Hardrock know they are fucked when he plays.. LOL
                  I can't believe he is still a stiff...You would think as much as he gambles with Barkley he would have learned

Comment

His wife took half of his money

Comment

They were saying when he was at the hard rock for the Super Bowl here in Tampa last year he dropped over 6 figures at the BlackJack table.

Comment

Working...
                      X