Smoltz Strikes Out 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoltz Strikes Out 9

What a difference in leagues. Smoltz stunk up the joint when he was with the Sox. He signs with the Cards and in his first start goes 5 innings, 0 runs, 3 hits, and strikes out 9. I know it was against the Padres but jeez. When you see what success guys like Sabathia and Cliff Lee had going from the AL to the NL, if I was a GM of an AL team I would think twice before trading for a NL pitcher. Will be interesting to see what Peavy does with the White Sox.

He may have gotten lucky today.

Comment

I agree BC.
      "CFB YTD: 5-8-1 -16.2"

Comment

I think its the leagues also even though he may have caught a break facing SD.

All I know is Cliff Lee and Sabathia no one can even score on them in N.L.

Comment

Smoltz pitches against Washington next. If he demolishes them like he did the Pads, I'll look for a nice fade spot the game after that....

Comment

He already faced Washington once this year and he gave up 4 runs in the 1st inning and got the loss.

Comment

Originally posted by BettorsChat View Post
              He may have gotten lucky today.
              BC...

Players with far less of a past have strived when landing under the tutelage of Dave Duncan... The switch from AL to NL can only help... Playing in Boston can be VERY difficult... Smoltz is a GAMER... I think he is setting up for Franklin in October and if the Cards are to make a run at it, he will be a key component!!!
              "MONEY WON IS TWICE AS SWEET AS MONEY EARNED!"

Comment

Originally posted by wayne1218 View Post
                He already faced Washington once this year and he gave up 4 runs in the 1st inning and got the loss.
                Why do you think career 'middle of the road' pitchers flourish under Dave Duncan??? He moved Ryan Frankiln to the pen (33 saves)... Adam Wainright from the pen to a starter... Jeff Weaver was a key part of their World Championship... Joel Pineiro couldn't get an out in Seattle... just a few examples...
                love to hear your thoughts...
                "MONEY WON IS TWICE AS SWEET AS MONEY EARNED!"

Comment

Originally posted by jhedrick View Post
                  BC...

I think he is setting up for Franklin in October and if the Cards are to make a run at it, he will be a key component!!!
                  That's exactly where he should be, IMO, but today might be a sign of Smoltz improving.

Comment

Originally posted by jhedrick View Post
                    Why do you think career 'middle of the road' pitchers flourish under Dave Duncan??? He moved Ryan Frankiln to the pen (33 saves)... Adam Wainright from the pen to a starter... Jeff Weaver was a key part of their World Championship... Joel Pineiro couldn't get an out in Seattle... just a few examples...
                    love to hear your thoughts...
                    Yes, St Louis is a perfect fit for him imo.

Comment

Originally posted by mavskidd02 View Post
                      Smoltz pitches against Washington next. If he demolishes them like he did the Pads, I'll look for a nice fade spot the game after that....
                      the nationals actually have bats...the pads suck but lose 4-1, the nats suck but lose 8-6...don't think smoltz will have a field day against washington...he certainly won't strike out 7 consecutive batters like he did today...

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLemke View Post
                        the nationals actually have bats...the pads suck but lose 4-1, the nats suck but lose 8-6...don't think smoltz will have a field day against washington...he certainly won't strike out 7 consecutive batters like he did today...
                        Totally agree! The Pads made Smoltz look like he was in his prime again--Even Gonzalez...

Comment

The first thing I which comes to mind to me is Jeff Suppan, a very good Nl pitcher at one time in the NL but quite a failure with his two stints in the AL, namely with the Red Sox.

Comment

I think if you look at this closer, you would find players that switch leagues and got better and worse...I think the only correlation on the whole is that in the NL, there ERA is probably on the average a half run better due to the DH.

If it was such a clear cut advantage, you would think Theo would stop picking up NL pitchers off the scrap heap!
                            Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Originally posted by gizmo View Post
                              I think its the leagues also even though he may have caught a break facing SD.

All I know is Cliff Lee and Sabathia no one can even score on them in N.L.
                              I agree. There's a huge difference between facing the best hitting team in baseball, the Yankees and one of the worst teams, the Padres.

Comment

Working...
                              X