Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favre continues to cast shadow over Vikings

Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert

This analysis of Brett Favre's future brings forth a number of important points. Here's the most significant, in my opinion:

Minnesota's offseason pursuit of Favre might have officially ended July 28, but it had lasting consequences. Favre's ghost is still hanging over the franchise. Every time Sage Rosenfels or Tarvaris Jackson have a bad practice -- reportedly, a common occurrence during training camp -- it's reasonable to wonder if the Vikings and/or Favre would re-think their positions.

Whether that actually happens is a separate point. The mere act of expressing interest this spring, combined with Favre's legendary waffling, made this potential union a permanent storyline of the Vikings' season. In reality, only one thing could render it moot: Rosenfels or Jackson decisively winning the starting job and performing competently throughout the season.

Before Friday night's preseason opener at Indianapolis, neither quarterback had come close to that benchmark. Rosenfels' 10-for-13 performance raised some short-term hopes, but even he admitted he was better against the Colts than he had been in practice.

You might be tempted to suggest that the story could be rendered moot if the media would stop covering it. But I think FoxSports.com's Jay Glazer accurately portrayed the mindset of many people within the Vikings organization. Like reporters, NFL players can connect the dots. They know they weren't seeing great quarterback play in practice and know that Favre changes his mind often. Those are two key ingredients.

Ultimately, of course, only two people would be involved in the decision to reverse course and pursue Favre: Owner Zygi Wilf and coach Brad Childress. And last month, both men said in unequivocal terms that Favre would not be an option in the future.

Of course, they couldn't have said anything less. Leaving the door open wouldn't have engendered much trust from Rosenfels or Jackson. But if we've learned anything during the past year with the Favre story, it's to believe that no public statement is permanent or irreversible. If Wilf and Childress conclude that Favre presents their overwhelmingly best option, I think they'll be willing to change course and explain it in terms of making the best decision for the team. That's also the thought of Sports Illustrated's Peter King, who wrote Monday that he had a "strong feeling" the Vikings will call Favre if they grow dissatisfied with their current situation.

So where does all this leave us? Following Rosenfels' performance in Indianapolis, the timing might not be right to start knocking on Favre's door. Jackson is scheduled to start Friday night against Kansas City, and then I'd imagine the Vikings will assess their situation then. Should they consider Favre at that point, there would be 22 days to get him acclimated before the start of the regular season.

We like to talk about FavreCon around here. Monday morning, I'd put us at 3 on a scale of 1-10. But as always, Hewhoshallnotbenamed is hanging over us.

Favre continues to cast shadow over Vikings - NFC North - ESPN
    Last edited by mavskidd02; 08-17-2009, 04:06 PM.
    "CFB YTD: 5-8-1 -16.2"

This guy is killing me

Comment

Lovin' every minute of it.

Comment

He is such a nightmare. He is like a chick that needs non stop attention.

Comment

Where's the media conference? Where's the interviews with Favre? I want to hear him say he's coming back not somebody else tell me whther he is or isn't.

Comment

i just want the guy to go away for good. i hope at this point he comes back and sucks ass like he did with the jets
            2013 NCAA POD Record

8-3ATS +3.80 units

2013 NFL POD Record

1-2 ATS -4.50 units

Comment

Originally posted by 10DimeBry View Post
              i just want the guy to come back for good. i hope at this point he comes back and kicks ass like he did with the jets
              Good to see youve come around Dimer.

Comment

Is there really a bigger joker in sports than this clown?

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03 View Post
                  nope

Comment

ARod? Nah, not even him

Comment

It's really sad! A few short years ago Favre was one of the most revered stars in sports. Now he's ridiculed by most of the media and fans.

Comment

It's really sad! A few short years ago Favre was one of the most revered stars in sports. Now he's ridiculed by most of the media and fans.
                        Even some die hard cheeseheads!

Comment

It really comes down to what's best for the team. As a Vikes fan I understan that Favre gives us a better immediate option at QB. However is that the best option for the overall team? I dont know. Tarvaris is still very young and usually 4-5 years is where QB's make the jump from decent to good. I dont want to see his confidence shattered simply because the team wants to try and win a Super Bowl this year. We should have 2-3 contending seasons with our current situation of personnel. If this whole thing had played out before training camp and Favre was coming I wouldnt have much probem with it. Now I'm sick of hearing about it. If he comes back...Fine but I wont be hapy about it. If not...Fine and I hope he has a nice retirement.

PK
                          No thrills, frills, spills or write-ups. Just givin ya the winners everyday.

Comment

I guess hes on a plane to Vikingland as I speak. The circus is on ! lol
                            9-4 = +5.85

Comment

He'll quit mid season with injury

Comment

Working...
                              X