Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB All Star Rosters

ESPN.com

Below is the complete roster for the National League All-Star team.

STARTERS
    POS PLAYER TEAM ALL-STAR APPEARANCES
    C Yadier Molina St. Louis 1
    1B Albert Pujols St. Louis 8
    2B Chase Utley Philadelphia 4
    3B David Wright NY Mets 4
    SS Hanley Ramirez Florida 2
    OF Ryan Braun Milwaukee 2
    OF Raul Ibanez Philadelphia 1
    OF Carlos Beltran NY Mets 5

PITCHERS
    RHP Heath Bell San Diego 1
    RHP Chad Billingsley LA Dodgers 1
    RHP Jonathan Broxton LA Dodgers 1
    RHP Matt Cain San Francisco 1
    RHP Francisco Cordero Cincinnati 3
    RHP Ryan Franklin St. Louis 1
    RHP Dan Haren Arizona 1
    RHP Josh Johnson Florida 1
    LHP Ted Lilly Chicago 2
    RHP Tim Lincecum San Francisco 2
    RHP Jason Marquis Colorado 2
    RHP Francisco Rodriguez NY Mets 4
    LHP Johan Santana NY Mets 4

RESERVES
    C Brian McCann Atlanta 4
    1B Prince Fielder Milwaukee 2
    1B Adrian Gonzalez San Diego 2
    1B Ryan Howard Philadelphia 2
    2B Orlando Hudson LA Dodgers 2
    2B Freddy Sanchez Pittsburgh 3
    SS Miguel Tejada Houston 6
    3B Ryan Zimmerman Washington 1
    OF Brad Hawpe Colorado 1
    OF Hunter Pence Houston 1
    OF Justin Upton Arizona 1

ESPN.com

Below is the complete roster for the American League All-Star team.

STARTERS
    C Joe Mauer Minnesota 3
    1B Mark Teixeira NY Yankees 2
    2B Dustin Pedroia Boston 2
    3B Evan Longoria Tampa Bay 2
    SS Derek Jeter NY Yankees 10
    OF Jason Bay Boston 3
    OF Ichiro Suzuki Seattle 9
    OF Josh Hamilton Texas 2

PITCHERS
    RHP Andrew Bailey Oakland 1
    RHP Josh Beckett Boston 2
    LHP Mark Buehrle Chicago 4
    RHP Zack Greinke Kansas City 1
    LHP Brian Fuentes LA Angels 4
    RHP Roy Halladay Toronto 6
    RHP Felix Hernandez Seattle 1
    RHP Edwin Jackson Detroit 1
    RHP Joe Nathan Minnesota 4
    RHP Jonathan Papelbon Boston 4
    RHP Mariano Rivera NY Yankees 10
    RHP Justin Verlander Detroit 2
    RHP Tim Wakefield Boston 1

RESERVES
    C Victor Martinez Cleveland 3
    1B Justin Morneau Minnesota 3
    1B Kevin Youkilis Boston 2
    2B Aaron Hill Toronto 1
    SS Jason Bartlett Tampa Bay 1
    3B Michael Young Texas 6
    OF Carl Crawford Tampa Bay 3
    OF Curtis Granderson Detroit 1
    OF Torii Hunter LA Angels 3
    OF Adam Jones Baltimore 1
    OF/IF Ben Zobrist Tampa Bay 1

Comment

Who picked the reserves?
      NL
      Hunter Pence over Matt Kemp?
      No Mark Reynolds?
      No Pablo Sandoval?
      Orlando Hudson should not be on this team
      Come on with fucking Jason Marquis over Yovanni Gallardo

AL
      Tim Wakefield over Kevin Millwood is a joke.

Comment

Hey BW ..........

NEW YORK -- Baseball is expanding All-Star rosters yet again.

Each league will have 33 players for the July 14 game at St. Louis, with an extra pitcher added to bring the total to 13. The commissioner's office said Wednesday the extra spot will be a manager's choice.

There are eight fan-elected starters, eight player-elected pitchers and eight player-elected reserves, with eight players selected by each manager. In addition, a fan Internet vote is held for the final spot in each league.

Rosters were expanded from 30 to 32 after 2002's 7-7, 11-inning tie in Milwaukee, when both leagues ran out of pitchers. In last year's 4-3, 15-inning AL victory at Yankee Stadium, every player was used other than San Francisco pitcher Tim Lincecum, who was ill.

Rosters will be announced Sunday.

Comment

Here are the 5 Guys from each league involved in the "Final Vote" Fan Poll ........

American League

Chone Figgins, 3B, Angels
          The Angels are perennial postseason contenders, and entering Sunday they were tied at the top of the AL West due in no small part to the consistent contributions from Figgins. He is batting .316 with 24 steals, which ranks fifth in the Majors. An on-base machine, Figgins ranks 10th in the Majors in hits with 97, more than any Final Vote candidate.

"Chone has been as good as any leadoff hitter in the league," testified his manager, Mike Scioscia. "He's also playing great defense at third base."

Brandon Inge, 3B, Tigers
          Inge, still looking for his first All-Star selection, has earned his reputation as one of baseball's best defensive third basemen, and his fielding skill was a big reason behind his return to the hot corner this season in a revamped lineup on a resurgent Tigers team that has been steady atop the AL Central. His 154 assists and 25 double plays topped all AL third basemen entering Sunday, and his regular appearances on highlight reels for his acrobatic plays can't hurt in a balloting battle that lasts just four days.

Yet what has separated this season from many for Inge is his bat, powering a career turnaround at the plate. He has 18 homers and 52 RBIs, both on course for personal bests. Only Longoria and Toronto's Scott Rolen entered Sunday with a higher OPS among AL third basemen than Inge at .868.

Ian Kinsler, 2B, Rangers
          This has to be considered the shocker of the 2008 All-Star Game Sprint Final Vote. Kinsler led virtually the entire way through the starter voting, in the weekly updates at MLB.com. Dustin Pedroia overtook him at the wire to win the fans' vote for the starting job, and then -- he's just gone? It will be up to fans to decide whether he joins outfield starter Josh Hamilton and fellow Rangers infielder Michael Young as a reserve -- or whether Kinsler goes from weekly leader to observer.

Here is the supporting evidence again: Rangers are still tied for lead in AL West; 19 homers, 51 RBIs, 16 steals, .500 slugging percentage, and some humility: "It's tough to say. There are a lot of second basemen who have had very good first halves. I'm not saying anybody deserves or doesn't deserve to go. I want to go. I don't know what else to say."

Adam Lind, DH, Blue Jays
          Lind was the one Toronto player whose name was noticeably missing on the All-Star ballot this year, and now it will be up to fans here if he gets to St. Louis. The 25-year-old opened the season as Toronto's primary DH, but has been receiving starts in left field since rookie Travis Snider was returned to Triple-A Las Vegas earlier this season. As the projected DH heading into the year, Lind was not eligible for the All-Star ballot, which had Snider's name listed among the AL's outfielders.

That hasn't stopped Lind, though. Through 80 games for the Blue Jays, the left-handed hitter was batting .309 with a .384 on-base percentage and a .553 slugging percentage. Lind had produced 17 homers, 25 doubles, 48 runs and 55 RBIs, earning a recent promotion to the third spot in the Blue Jays' lineup.

Carlos Pena, 1B, Rays
          Pena enters Sunday night action as the AL's leading home run hitter with 23 and he also leads the league in runs with (58) and walks (54). The question now is whether he can make it two straight Rays Final Vote winners, in the year after teammate Evan Longoria won it. Johnny Damon and Jason Varitek won it while with Boston in 2002 and 2003, respectively, and Scott Podsednik and A.J. Pierzynski won it for the White Sox in 2005 and 2006, respectively.

National League

Christian Guzman, SS, Nationals
          One of the bright spots for Washington this season undoubtedly is the play of Guzman, who was batting .316 through 65 games. He went on a real tear last month during three consecutive Interleague Play series against the Yankees, Blue Jays and Red Sox, producing eight multi-hit games and going 20-for-47 during that 10-game stretch.

It would be the third All-Star selection for Guzman, who was chosen in 2001 with Minnesota and then went 0-for-3 off the bench during the NL's 15-inning victory last summer.

Matt Kemp, OF, Dodgers
          Think back to June 16, when Kemp singled in the 10th inning against Oakland to give the Dodgers what then was their Major League-best eighth walk-off win -- and the reaction of a full Dodger Stadium crowd. The Dodgers have celebrated more than any team this season, and he has been a big reason. Kemp is batting .303 with 10 homers, 44 RBIs and 19 steals, meaning he could be a 20-40 man this year.

It is somewhat surprising perhaps that the Dodgers have been baseball's top team almost the entire season yet have only a few reserves so far -- second baseman Orlando Hudson and pitchers Chad Billingsley and Jonathan Broxton. Will Kemp be the fourth?

Mark Reynolds, 3B, D-backs
          Reynolds will try to join right fielder Justin Upton and pitcher Dan Haren as reserves on the NL team from Arizona. In his third year, Reynolds is continuing a huge Major League progression by going from 17 homers as a rookie to 28 last year to already 23 at this point. He also has 58 RBIs and 13 steals, a fantasy mainstay for many.

He also just blew his top after Arizona's 5-0 loss to Colorado on Saturday, and if you want another way to measure him, consider the passion in his comments after that game. "I know I care," he said amid the postgame tirade. "I'm out there busting my tail every night trying to win."

Pablo Sandoval, 3B, Giants
          "I just focus on playing my game," the Venezuelan switch-hitter said after homering twice recently at Milwaukee. "I don't focus on the numbers." That's OK, we are. Sandoval has positively burst upon the scene in his first full season, ranking fourth in the NL in batting with a .333 average and leading the Giants into contention despite the Dodgers' breakaway first half. He also has 12 homers and 44 RBIs.

The Giants' "Kung Fu Panda," just 22, also ranks among the NL top 10 in doubles (23), multi-hit games (30), slugging percentage (.566), extra-base hits (38), hits (93) and OPS (on-base plus slugging percentage -- .954). He also entered Saturday leading the Majors with a .393 batting average in two-out situations.

Shane Victorino, OF, Phillies
          Everyone knows the Flyin' Hawaiian from the last postseason, when he was a key player in the Phillies' run to the World Series title. So the question is, how has he done as an encore to that? Good enough that his manager nominated him for your consideration here. Although his stolen-base numbers are down a bit at the halfway mark (13, compared to a total of 37 in 2007 and 36 in 2008), his average and on-base percentages are peaking at .304 and .367. He also has 96 hits, on pace for a career-best.

Victorino will try to join starters Chase Utley and Raul Ibanez and reserve Ryan Howard on the All-Star Team. He also will try to become the second Final Vote winner from Philly, following Bobby Abreu in 2004.

There never has been a second baseman nor shortstop to win a Final Vote. So if fans should select Guzman and Kinsler, that takes care of both of those matters. There never had been a Mariner, Red or Ranger nominated, so Kinsler's selection already has reduced that number to two going forward.

Comment

Kinsler and Reynolds are my votes

Comment

Originally posted by BigWeiner View Post
              Kinsler and Reynolds are my votes
              Same for me!

Comment

WAKEFIELD AND MArquis were expected picks...They expanded the rosters and these will be the two pitchers in case it goes extra innings and they need someone to pitched many innings...These 2 guys r fine w pitching innings and there managers gave the thumbs up for it...If the rosters werent expanded they would not have been picked..Wakefield can pitch unlimited innings and not kill his arm, he was a no brainer

Comment

Come on with fucking Jason Marquis over Yovanni Gallardo
                  I agree. Marquis has more wins but Gallardo has much better complete stats.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuab1 View Post
                    WAKEFIELD AND MArquis were expected picks...They expanded the rosters and these will be the two pitchers in case it goes extra innings and they need someone to pitched many innings...These 2 guys r fine w pitching innings and there managers gave the thumbs up for it...If the rosters werent expanded they would not have been picked..Wakefield can pitch unlimited innings and not kill his arm, he was a no brainer
                    Why don't they just bring Phil Niekro out of retirement and let him throw extra innings for both teams? What a joke. He's a fucking 4 era again. I wouldn't pay a penny to watch him pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03 View Post
                      I agree. Marquis has more wins but Gallardo has much better complete stats.
                      Marquis is having a great year, I get it, especially for someone that sucks, but to leave off great pitchers with better numbers, give me a break. I hate charity picks. The best players should make it, otherwise it's worthless

Comment

Marquis is having a great year, I get it, especially for someone that sucks, but to leave off great pitchers with better numbers, give me a break. I hate charity picks. The best players should make it, otherwise it's worthless
                        I think Wakefields (10-3) record and that alone got him there. Based on numbers, i think Jared Weaver deserved it more than Wakefield or Millwood. Better record than Millwood and better K/BB Ratio but era is a little higher.

In the NL, i would have given it to Cueto over Marquis!

Comment

How does Pujols make the All-star team?

Comment

This whole thing is a joke anyway, if your gonna make this allstar game count for something, then every team shouldnt have a represenative. It should be the best players period if this game is goin 2 count for somethibg IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by FB Coach13 View Post
                              This whole thing is a joke anyway, if your gonna make this allstar game count for something, then every team shouldnt have a represenative. It should be the best players period if this game is goin 2 count for somethibg IMO.
                              Exactly, try and tell me there is Pittsburgh Pirate who legitamitly belongs on this team. Great players are being left off so the minor league Pirates can have a player. The Pirates suck and it's their own fault, if they don't want to spend money and field a decent team, they don't deserve an All-Star. Freddy Sanchez? He's not an all-star, it's that simple.

Mark Reynolds isn't an All-Star but Sanchez is? Give me a break.
                              "CFB YTD: 5-8-1 -16.2"

Comment

Working...
                              X