Knicks to meet with Jason Kidd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knicks to meet with Jason Kidd

Knicks to Meet With Jason Kidd on Wednesday.

Kidd's no kid, so Knicks shouldn't be thinking he's a long-term piece of the puzzle.

The Knicks struck out in their attempt to draft a young point guard for the future so it appears that they're turning their attention to an older vintage. Frank Isola of the Daily News reports that they'll be meeting with Jason Kidd on Wednesday, the opening day of the free agent recruiting period, to see if there's a way to bring him on board.

It's an interesting course for the Knicks to pursue. Kidd would work fine as a one-year rental with the intention of boosting the Knicks closer to playoff contention, but it would make for a curious situation entering 2010. They'd have a desperate need at point guard while simultaneously pursuing the big-ticket free agents that have been the reason for just about every personnel move the team's made over the past two seasons. Kidd, at 37, isn't a long-term answer, even if Isola contends that Donnie Walsh thinks he'd help lure LeBron James next year.

A pursuit of Kidd would make a lot more sense if the Knicks had selected a rookie point guard last week. Kidd would hold down the starting job in 2009 while playing the role of a mentor to the youngster who would take over the reins in the future. That's a sensible approach with benefits now and in the future.

Free agent recruitment, however, is a foolish reason to sign a player, especially one that's shown a good bit of decline over the last few seasons. The idea that Kidd would be more than a temporary stopgap is a troubling one that fails to pass what we'll call the Isiah Test. Signing a player like Kidd with the notion that he was still a top player is something that Thomas would have done, which automatically makes it a dubious idea.

Josh Alper courtesy of nbcnewyork.com
    "CFB YTD: 5-8-1 -16.2"

I think Kidd would do well in that atmosphere--he is aging but has a few good years left.

Comment

makes no sense, Knicks have nothing to offer the NBA this upcoming season, they honestly might as well not do anything and that includes re-signing David Lee. Save up as much $$$ as possible and lock and load with LBJ23 in 2010. We all know it is going to happen, just be patient.

Comment

Why wouldn't the Knicks get Kidd, they have been making retarded moves for years now so why change.

Comment

The scary thing is that the few moves Donnie Walsh has made just continue to follow in the foot steps of Isiah! And to hear VanGundy blow smoke up his ass during the draft....
          Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Kidd's career hasn't hit its downslope just yet, still good numbers last year. And if the Knicks are looking to make a run this year and next, than I think this is a good move for them.

Comment

Originally posted by mavskidd02 View Post
              Kidd's career hasn't hit its downslope just yet, still good numbers last year. And if the Knicks are looking to make a run this year and next, than I think this is a good move for them.

You are dreaming if you think Kidd to the Knicks means they will make a run in the next 2 years. The Knicks are the Knicks and getting another old mans contract doesn't help them in moving forward.

Comment

Yes the Knicks are the Knicks just like the Clips are the Clips..I just think this is a good fit for them. They will not come out and be a playoff contender or anything..I am sure of that--just may make them a little better..

Comment

Originally posted by bryce View Post
                  Yes the Knicks are the Knicks just like the Clips are the Clips..I just think this is a good fit for them. They will not come out and be a playoff contender or anything..I am sure of that--just may make them a little better..
                  Depending on how much Kidd's got left (not this coming season), but next, and who they get in the big FA sweepstakes. They can make something of that team. They have a lot of cap room and really are looking ahead to getting LJ or another big name.

Comment

Not to mention the newly acquired Darko Milicic!

Comment

kidd just wants to be close to home!!!!!! his kids and ex wife live in new jersey. he loves manhattan. in the end, kidd will play elsewhere. knicks don't need kidd at his age
                      THINK POSITIVE!!!!! BE POSITIVE!!!!!! IN LIFE
                      your word is your bond

Comment

Jason Kidd is a good fit for the Knicks for 1 year and 1 year only. Heis better than anthything they have and have cap space for thisyear. He is not worth tying up a penny of cap space for the following year.

And I can't imagine Kidd would be willing to sign for only 1 year.
                        Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Comment

Kidd, Knicks meet; Mavs ready to deal

By Marc Stein
                          ESPN.com

The Dallas Mavericks opened the free-agent period early Wednesday by letting guard Jason Kidd know that they are prepared to sign him to a three-year deal, according to sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

The specifics to be determined in those talks center on the money, with the Mavericks believed to be proposing a deal in the $25 million range for the 36-year-old guard, and Kidd said to be seeking more.

Kidd also attended his scheduled Wednesday meeting at Madison Square Garden with New York Knicks president Donnie Walsh and coach Mike D'Antoni, who works with Kidd as an assistant coach with Team USA. Kidd has legitimate interest in the Knicks given his strong ties to the area after 7½ seasons with New Jersey and his fondness for D'Antoni, but Dallas can comfortably outbid New York.

It appears, though, that a resolution on Kidd's future is unlikely before next week, as the Mavericks and Kidd continue to negotiate.

Although he declined to go into specifics, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said of his sitdown with Kidd in New York, which began at 12:01 a.m. ET on Wednesday: "It went well. Now we have to work out some details."

The Dallas Morning News also quoted Cuban as saying that he is "very optimistic" about finalizing a deal with Kidd.

New York can offer only a contract starting at the projected midlevel exception of $5.6 million. Offering Kidd or any other free agent more than one year, furthermore, would likely cut into the salary-cap space that the Knicks have earmarked for the free-agent pursuit of Cleveland's LeBron James in 2010.

But sources say that another prominent veteran free agent -- Grant Hill -- has also been invited to visit the Knicks early next week. Hill was to meet with Suns president Steve Kerr on Wednesday at his home in the Orlando area.

"The Knicks can't give Jason more than one year," one rival executive said this week, "unless they think that signing him gets them LeBron."

In spite of the obstacles, sources said Walsh and D'Antoni went into Wednesday's chat with Kidd feeling cautiously optimistic about their chances, even though Kidd has made it clear that he has no interest in one-year deals. If the Knicks did manage to lure him back to the Atlantic Division, finding a trade home for Eddy Curry or Jared Jeffries would become an even bigger priority than it is now, given New York's well-chronicled desire to create the requisite flexibility to recruit two top free agents in the summer of 2010.

In addition to reaching out to free agents such as Kidd and Hill, New York also has two in-demand restricted free agents of its own: David Lee and Nate Robinson.

Lee's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said he spoke to the Knicks late Tuesday night but had "nothing really new to report" late Wednesday afternoon. He expects interest in the power forward, who was third in the league in rebounding last season and topped the NBA with 65 double-doubles.

"We're having substantial talks with different teams," Bartelstein said.

Kidd averaged 9.0 points and 8.7 assists last season while earning nearly $21 million for a Mavericks team that won 50 games. After steamrolling San Antonio in five games in the first round of the playoffs, Dallas was eliminated in five games by the Nuggets.

He returned to the franchise that drafted him out of Cal in 1994 in a February 2008 multiplayer trade with New Jersey, which established Devin Harris as the Nets' new lead guard. But the Mavs were ousted by New Orleans in the first round of the '08 playoffs, with Kidd struggling to adapt to coach Avery Johnson's deliberate offense and Johnson losing his job after a second straight first-round exit following Dallas' trip to the 2006 NBA Finals.

Kidd told reporters in Dallas at season's end that he "would love to be back" with the Mavericks, insisting that he can play at least three more seasons. He's third in league history in assists after 15 seasons.

"I'm not looking at [free agency] as ... hitching on a bandwagon and jumping on with a team that's a favorite," Kidd said in May, disputing speculation that he is intent on signing with the Los Angeles Lakers or Cleveland Cavaliers to hook up with either Kobe Bryant or LeBron James from Team USA.

"I'm looking to help a team try to win a championship. Whether it's here in Dallas or wherever it may be, I still feel that I have a lot to give to the game. I feel great and I thought I had a pretty good season. As much as everybody talks about my age, I still feel like I can compete at a high level."

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

NBA free agents: Sources: Dallas Mavericks prepared to offer Jason Kidd three-year deal - ESPN

Comment

Working...
                          X