Mark Fidrych Found Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Fidrych Found Dead

Former rookie of the year found dead underneath pickup truck at home.

The Bird will be missed!

Breaking News: Ex-Detroit Tiger Pitcher Found Dead

POSTED: Monday, April 13, 2009
    UPDATED: 6:00 pm EDT April 13, 2009

BOSTON -- Former All-Star pitcher and Detriot Tiger Mark "The Bird" Fidrych has been found dead in an apparent accident at his farm in Northborough, Massachusetts. He was 54.

Worcester County district attorney Joseph D. Early Jr. said a family friend found Fidrych about 2:30 p.m. Monday beneath a pickup truck. He appeared to be working on the truck, Early said.

The colorful right-hander was the American League rookie of the year in 1976 when he went 19-9 with a 2.34 earned run average. He spent all five of his major league seasons with the Detroit Tigers, compiling a 29-19 record and a 3.10 ERA.

His career was cut short by injuries.

Stay with Local 4 and ClickOnDetroit.com for udpates to this developing story.

Comment

"The Bird" .... Saw him pitch a few times at White Sox Park in the 70's ... Great personality ... very colorful ... only pitched 5 years I think ... Injuries ...

Comment

Just 2 days ago on MLB network I watched the game he pitched in 1976 vs. the Yanks on national TV. I watched that game live when I was a teen. He left a lasting impression. I became an instant fan of his. It was one of the most entertaining games I have ever watched.

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03 View Post
          Just 2 days ago on MLB network I watched the game he pitched in 1976 vs. the Yanks on national TV. I watched that game live when I was a teen. He left a lasting impression. I became an instant fan of his. It was one of the most entertaining games I have ever watched.
          He left a great impression! That is for sure. There few things I remember growing up but I always remember baseball as a kid. I remember watching him on a few Saturday afternoon's on ABC Game of the week. He was colorful as hell and as a kid you had to love his antics...

RIP

Comment

Rest in peace bird some of my best childhood memos was seeing you live at the old tiger stadium. The real ball park om mich ang trumbull/

Comment

Yeah, he was fun to watch. RIP!
              Nothing is as far away as one minute ago.

Comment

Working...
              X