Brian Giles - Are You Kidding Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Giles - Are You Kidding Me?

You turn down an opportunity to go play 3 months for the Red Sox with a great chance at winning the World Series because you don't want to leave home? Concerned about playing time??? Are you freakin' kidding me???? You are an IDIOT!!!

I don't care if you are from SD...that is why teams like the Pods will never win because winning is not important to guys who are playing everyday. Only concerned about being in the lineup everyday. Turning down a chance for a WS ring to stay home for three months...unbelievable!

This says a lot about the ballplayer and, if I am SD, no way I would honor the '09 team option. Let him go play for a team like KC where he can collect his paycheck and no one will care.
    Three Jack's Record http://www.bettorschat.com/forums/sh...10#post1323910

Originally posted by Three Jack
    You turn down an opportunity to go play 3 months for the Red Sox with a great chance at winning the World Series because you don't want to leave home? Concerned about playing time??? Are you freakin' kidding me???? You are an IDIOT!!!

I don't care if you are from SD...that is why teams like the Pods will never win because winning is not important to guys who are playing everyday. Only concerned about being in the lineup everyday. Turning down a chance for a WS ring to stay home for three months...unbelievable!

This says a lot about the ballplayer and, if I am SD, no way I would honor the '09 team option. Let him go play for a team like KC where he can collect his paycheck and no one will care.
    Great decision! this wouldve been a prettty big blow to my NL only fantasy team, especially since I have 3 transactions left for the year......but if im brian giles I would be in Boston right now...

Comment

Perhaps the real reason for his nixing the trade is that Brian is content to continue to wallow in easy-to -play cites like San Diego (and prior to that Pittsburgh) and is fearful of stepping up to a real challenge of playing for a team like the Red Sox, where virtually every move he makes, every strike, every hit, every out, etc. will be subject to severe scrutiny by the fans and press.
      Last edited by savage1; 08-08-2008, 03:44 PM.

Comment

He knows the Red Sox aren't going anywhere anyway and is holding our for a better offer next year imo.

Comment

I rather play for the Royals then the Padres

Comment

Originally posted by Three Jack
            KUDOS Brian Giles!

It's refreshing to see an athlete have his priorities set. He didn't want to leave his family. He's putting his family above all. I can't fault him. Most would have jumped at the opportunity. Giles probably has more than enough money to live comfortably the rest of his life.

He was also concerned about playing time. For some playing is more fun than winning. How is sitting on the bench fun? I don't care how good the team is. I can't fault him. If I had to choose between playing FT for a losing team or PT for a winning team I'd choose FT every time.

Comment

I hear San Diego is nice this time of year

Comment

Originally posted by kbsooner21
                He knows the Red Sox aren't going anywhere anyway and is holding our for a better offer next year imo.
                It seems to me that if Giles is oriented monetarily(a big if), came to Boston and did well, the Sox might offer him a lot more than most teams could and would irrespective of whether team made the playoffs or not.
                If money is not the sole motive, then in view of Red Sox's successes of late and their bright future, most players would jump at the prospect of playing for the Sox as opposed to playing for a team and players who more likely than not will be going home at the end September for seasons in the forseeable future.
                On the other hand and in all fairness, if he is and his family are simply comfortable in San Diego, then I can certainly understand his thinking and respect that-there is more to life than playing on a WS winner and making tons of money.
                Last edited by savage1; 08-08-2008, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by savage1
                  On the other hand and in all fairness, if he is and his family are simply comfortable in San Diego, then I can certainly understand his thinking and respect that-there is more to life than playing on a WS winner and making tons of money.
                  BINGO!

Comment

is fearful of stepping up to a real challenge of playing for a team like the Red Sox, where virtually every move he makes, every strike, every hit, every out, etc. will be subject to severe scrutiny by the fans and press.
                    Do you think at that level they're fearful? I'd have to think at that level they've got huge egos and feel they can conquer the world. Many have tried and failed coming into a heavily scrutinized situation.

Comment

Originally posted by frankb03
                      Do you think at that level they're fearful? I'd have to think at that level they've got huge egos and feel they can conquer the world. Many have tried and failed coming into a heavily scrutinized situation.
                      Maybe fearful is too strong a word-lets put it this way, at this stage of his career, he is content to be doing what he is currently doing, and from his point of view, which is all that really matters, he doesn't want to put his feeling of contentment at risk;if I am correct in my assessment, then again I respect that.
                      Giles and for that matter any athlete should answer to himself and family first.
                      What I said in the other posts applies ONLY if career and money come first.

Comment

I think old man savage would inhale the entire Boston Redsox starting lineup

Comment

Maybe fearful is too strong a word-lets put it this way, at this stage of his career, he is content to be doing what he is currently doing, and from his point of view, which is all that really matters, he doesn't want to put his feeling of contentment at risk;.
                          I agree 100%

Comment

Originally posted by kslab28liver
                            I think old man savage would inhale the entire Boston Redsox starting lineup
                            Could you explain in detail

Comment

Giles and for that matter any athlete should answer to himself and family first.
                              I also agree with this statement 1,000%

Family and children have to come first.

Comment

Working...
                              X