Memphis star Banks suspended indefinitely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memphis star Banks suspended indefinitely

NEW YORK (SI.com) -- Memphis star forward Sean Banks has been suspended indefinitely by head coach John Calipari for breaking team rules, SI.com's Seth Davis reports.

Banks is the Tigers' second-leading scorer this season, averaging 16.0 points per game, but he was held to five points in Memphis' 65-53 loss to Ole Miss on Saturday. The defeat snapped the Tigers' 24-game home winning streak.

Banks started Memphis' first eight games, but came off the bench and played 25 minutes in the losss to Ole Miss. Calipari said he does not expect Banks to attend Saturday's game against Austin Peay and does not know when -- or if -- Banks will rejoin the team.

"Hopefully he'll respond to this and understand I'm trying to do whatever I can to make sure he understands there are boundaries," Calipari said. "This is more about him than our team at this point.

"What I hope is he uses the next five days to get in the weight room, come back and be the star he's supposed to be."

Banks, a 6-foot-8 sophomore from Englewood, N.J., was named one of 50 preseason candidates for both the Wooden and Naismith awards after leading the Tigers in scoring (17.4 ppg) and rebounding (6.5) last season and earning Conference USA freshman of the year honors.

Memphis opened the season ranked No. 24 in the Associated Press poll but has struggled to a 5-4 start. After facing Austin Peay on Saturday, the Tigers will play Louisiana Tech at the FedEx Forum on Monday night and then will take on Providence in a nationally televised clash on Dec. 23.
Working...
X