X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozzie Guillen Has No Regard for Jim Leyland

Posted Mar 29th 2007 1:00PM by Matt Watson
    Filed under: Chicago, Detroit, White Sox, Tigers, AL Central, MLB Gossip

Remember when Jimmy Rollins said the Phillies were going to win the NL East and everyone started talking about how that was bulletin board material for the Mets? Ozzie Guillen is here to set the record straight: this is bulletin board material:
    "To me, Sparky Anderson was the greatest," Guillen said of the former Tigers and Reds skipper. "He managed my favorite team, the Cincinnati Reds. But Sparky Anderson lose 100 (games) with the Tigers.

"But everybody remember Sparky Anderson with the Big Red Machine," Guillen continued, turning to the present Tigers manager. "Jim Leyland. Jim Leyland quit with the Colorado Rockies. Can't handle it no more. 'I'm gone.' Having money on the table. He said, 'I don't need the money. My health is more important than baseball.' Is he a great baseball man? Awesome. Is he a great manager? Hell, no."
    Yes, "Sparky lose 100 with the Tigers" ... but only once in 17 years with the team. In that span, Sparky also won a World Series and was twice named manager of the year. Not to diminish Anderson's accomplishments with the Big Red Machine, but there's an entire generation of fans who weren't even alive during Anderson's nine years in Cincinnati.

Besides, can anyone really question Leyland's baseball chops? He's a three-time manager of the year, including twice in the NL where managers actually manage instead of just writing out a half-way decent batting order (which Guillen sometimes struggles with) and enjoying the show. He's taken two teams to the World Series and won once. He's managed 15 years in the majors, not to mention 11 years in the minor leagues before getting his break. But he isn't a great baseball man because ... he once left money on the table to take care of his health and be with his family?

I will say this: Ozzie Guillen is good for baseball, but only because his ridiculous comments drum up a lot of interest since he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about at any given time.
Working...
X