Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UTAH at the MIAMI HEAT 7:30pm

UTAH at MIAMI 7:30pm
    Tonigh at 7:30 MIAMI hosts UTAH in a game that holds much more significance for the JAZZ that it does for the HEAT.
    MIAMI comes to the floor with a record of 20-42 on 1 day of rest in the 5th game of a 5 game home stand where they beat WASHINGTON 93-83, lost to MILWAUKEE by 9, 100-91, lost to DALLAS 91-89 and lost to DENVER in their last outing 98-92 as a 5' point favorite. They played DALLAS and DENVER back to back on no rest before the 1 day rest that they come in on tonight. It is pretty much a given that a team that plays two games back to back and then has 1 day rest experiences a fatigue factor in that next game. It is a lot better when the back to back games in this scenario are played at home, and that is the case here.
    UTAH comes in , also, on 1 day rest in pretty much the same situation losing to SACRAMENTO 108-105 at home then the next day losing to DALLAS in a rout 101-77. Talk about chasing the elusive rabbit. The effect of those games should show tonight if the handicapping article I have been reading are of any use whatsoever. UTAH'S record is 35 and 27.
    These two met on Jan 1st, 2003 at UTAH where the JAZZ prevailed 92-76. MIAMI played without the services of their leading scorer EDDIE JONES, as will again be the case tonight(injured reserve), and gave up 14 layups in the game. MIAMI managed just 12 points in the opening quarter and trailed by 14 entering the second period. The HEAT opened the second half with a 16-5 run and cut the deficit to 56-53 with 6:37 left in the third. But the JAZZ woke up and led by as many as 19 in the final 2 minutes of the game. MIAMI scored just 6 points in the final 7 minutes of the game.
    UTAH came into that game on 1 day rest between home games after edging PHOENIX 99-93 as a 7' point favorite.
    MIAMI also came in on 1 day of rest after a 99-85 typical loss at GOLDEN STATE as an 8 poiint dog. It was the third game of a 5 game west coast road trip of which they lost them all. It is interesting to note that after that west coast excursion, which can take a tremendous toll on an eastern ball club, MIAMI got 1 day rest, just like tonight, and beat DETROIT 88-85 as a 6 point dog.....just like tonight, the next time out.
    UTAH scoring was led by M HARPRING 31 and C MALONE 19. No other JAZZ players were in double figures.
    MIAMI was led by C BUTLER 19(11rebs), R BUTLER 18, B GRANT 16 and S LAMPLEY 13.

In their meetings last year UTAH blasted MIAMI 95 -56 at MIAMI. The MIAMI point production was the third worse in NBA history, just 7 points better than the 49 points that MIAMI allowed CHICAGO on April 10th, 1999.
    In the other meeting ,this time at UTAH, MIAMI actually outshot the JAZZ 33-80 to 30-55, but were beaten at the free throw line 36 of 44 for UTAH to 18 of 21 for MIAMI.
    I have suggested here that two tired teams will take the floor tonight. The ov/un last I looked was 176'. That's not many points but is a lot for two teams that have been chasing the rabbit. I am fairly certain that MIAMI will cover the spread, around 6, and on the assumption that UTAH is on a downhill slide, I am placing a wager on MIAMI and the money line which is around +210.
Working...
X