Clear All

• I still think Les Miles will be the next coach at Mich

Report: Michigan contacted LSU's Miles after he signed extension

ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 11, 2007, 1:39 PM ET

* Comment
    * Email
    * Print

Michigan's pursuit of LSU coach Les Miles is apparently not over -- despite the fact that Miles signed a contract extension with the Tigers last week.

Les Miles

Chris Graythen/Getty Images

Les Miles reportedly was contacted by Michigan after agreeing to a new deal with LSU. The big question: What was discussed?

Miles spoke Friday morning with Michigan athletic director Bill Martin and university president Mary Sue Coleman, according to several people with knowledge of the call, the Detroit Free Press reported Tuesday.

Miles signed his contract extension at LSU on Thursday.

Michigan, which has yet to find a successor for the retired Lloyd Carr, had previously obtained permission from LSU to contact Miles about its coaching vacancy on the condition that it was after the Dec. 1 Southeastern Conference championship game. The Tigers will play Ohio State in the Allstate BCS Championship Game on Jan. 7 in New Orleans.

Miles' contract extension at LSU reportedly still contains a $1.25 million buyout he must pay if he leaves Baton Rouge for Ann Arbor. Miles played for Bo Schembechler at Michigan and twice was part of the late Schembechler's coaching staff.

He signed the contract on Thursday. So even if he did [talk to Michigan] I would think it wouldn't matter. Because Les wants to be here.

-- LSU AD Skip Bertman

Michigan associate athletic director Bruce Madej said the university is not commenting on the coaching search, and Miles' agent, George Bass, declined comment, the Free Press reported.

Bertman told ESPN's Joe Schad and the Free Press that he does not know if Miles, who has been on the recruiting trail for LSU, spoke with Michigan.

"I don't want to interfere with Michigan's ties to Les. If it was some other school it would make a difference," Bertman told ESPN. "Bill Martin is an honorable guy and did a credible thing by not speaking with him before the [SEC] title game.

Bertman said although he can't stop other schools from calling Miles, he remains confident that Miles will remain at LSU.

"He signed the contract on Thursday. So even if he did [talk to Michigan] I would think it wouldn't matter. Because Les wants to be here. He is an honorable man," Bertman told ESPN. "I don't believe he would lead anybody the wrong way."

Bertman told the Free Press that Miles' amended contract includes free tuition for his children at LSU, academic incentives based on his players' achievements and a double payment of his remaining deal if he is fired.

"Les made a decision he wanted to stay. He loves Michigan, but the truth is, for Les Miles at this time, this is probably a better place," Bertman said, according to the Free Press.

Joe Schad is a college football reporter for ESPN.
    jordanrules..................
Working...
X