Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baseball Play Tonight !! Read This Story!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Play Tonight !! Read This Story!!

I just got home from umpiring and checked my emails and a buddy of mine emailed this story. After reading it, and I don't even know if it is true, I am still betting on the Red Sox. Schilling on the same day has 4 years ago in this big game - what the hell, gotta take a chance.

"To my buddy's dad, lifelong Bosox fan, who passed away 3 years ago on this day.

"Yesterday, met up with the lad's at the local after a long day at work, for some food and drink. After the gang had gone home, my friend and I were left to discuss the weekends plays, which turned to basball, and he told me about the night his father passed away.

His dad was hopitalized, slipping in and out of a coma, mom would be bedside during the day, and he and his brother would come after work to spend the evening with the old man, and watch the baseball playoffs together on the tiny little black and white hopital-issue tv.

It was October 20, 2004 the infamous "bloody sock" night when Schilling won game 6 of the ALCS pitching on a torn ankle tendon with blood seeping out of his sock, he held New York to one run and four hits over seven innings as Boston won 4-2 at Yankee Stadium. The Red Sox went on to win Game 7, completing the only comeback from an 0-3 series deficit in major league history and setting the stage for the franchise's first World Series title since 1918.

As my friend and his brother spent their last night with their dad drifting in and out of consciousness, the old man woke up halfway through the game, to ask if Schilling was still throwing. "Yeah dad, he's still hanging in there."
    The old boy closed his eyes, and slipped back into his sleep, and left this world later that night.

As I sat digesting the story, my buddy mentioned that he had never told anyone, or even talked with his brother about that night since, and I could tell it was a wonderful memory. Another round was ordered, and the plan was hatched to make a play in honour of the old man. "It just feels right" he said, "same day, same pitcher, same game 6."

"Nickel for each of us, and a nickel for my brother, who I'm not even gonna tell." he said.

"I'm in."

this was not my buddy's friend, just something he said he read somewhere

Me too !!!
    dave
    Last edited by baseballdave; 10-20-2007, 06:17 PM.
    jc Wishes He Can Get A Goat

Working...
X