Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• delamar

might be to late...sorry
    DEL MAR -- Race #4 -- SKYWALKER RED (#8)
    __________________________________________________ __________________

Today's 4th race is an optional $40,000 claiming or allowance N1x turf marathon for three year olds and upward. The par level for this event is a 105. The Bobby Frankel import JIPAPIBAQUIGRAFO is listed as the 4-5 favorite for this race even though this colt has not raced since October of last year. I will try to beat the big favorite with a very sharp front runner who will most likely get first run on the Frankel import.

SKYWALKER RED (8-1) has really turned a corner in 2004. This four year old gelding from the Patrick Gallagher barn broke his maiden in January with better than par maiden figures of 98-103-102+ for the 102 level. In his next start, SKYWALKER RED dueled on fast early fractions and finished with figures of 111-106-103+ for the Cal bred N1x level. Off that start, SKYWALKER RED cleared his state bred conditions with figs of 99-100-104. SKYWALKER RED earned his career best figures going nine furlongs first start against open company. His figures of 95-98-106+ from that day plot best among recent figures earned, and prove that SKYWALKER RED is very tough on the lead when allowed to set easy fractions. I expect today's pace scenario to be much easier than SKYWALKER RED's most recent start. That day he had to duel through pace figures of 108-110 and still held on with a 103+ final figure while traveling 1 1/4 miles over the turf course at Hollywood Park. I believe the Del Mar turf course is much more friendly to early speed and SKYWALKER RED should prove to be an elusive target for this group.

I will play SKYWALKER RED as my value key bet and cover my wager with a generous quinella to the heavy favorite. Even though that Frankel import could be a monster, I will always side with the sharp local horse with solid speed figures. Good luck!
Working...
X