Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Republicans drag out debate on suspending I-960

Posted by Jim Brunner
    Update: 11:12 a.m.: Debate has started on final passage of the bill suspending I-960. Watch live on TVW.

OLYMPIA -- Passage of a bill to suspend Initiative 960 is a foregone conclusion in the Legislature.

With big majorities in the state House and Senate, Democrats signaled at the start of the session they'd suspend the tax-limiting initiative in order to avoid an "all-cuts" budget.

But that doesn't mean Republicans are going to make it easy.

Last night, House Republicans forced a six-hour debate, mostly on a procedural motion to indefinitely postpone the bill suspending I-960.

The floor session began around 5:30 p.m. and the House didn't adjourn until nearly midnight. It was as close to a filibuster as allowed under the rules of the state Legislature.

Hours of speeches from Republicans focused on Democrats' intent to overturn I-960's main provision: the requirement that any tax increase be approved by two-thirds of the Legislature or a public vote.

"We cannot go out there and break the will of the people," said Rep. Jan Angel, R-Port Orchard. She said the public wants the Legislature to turn over "every rock and stone" before raising taxes.

But Democrats repeatedly noted I-960 only passed with a 51 percent majority in 2007. Meanwhile, they argued, the public has voted by much higher margins for other initiatives -- such as higher teacher pay for teachers and more training for health-care workers -- that lawmakers have had to suspend for a lack of money.

"Suspending 960 may be good or bad," said Rep. Sherry Appleton, D-Poulsbo, "but to say this or that vote goes against the will of the people actually means the will of the people we choose at that given moment."

This morning at 10 a.m., the House plans to convene for a final debate which could take several more hours.

Once the measure passes the House, it will have to return to the state Senate for concurrence on an amendment restoring some minor provisions of I-960 -- the requirement of 10-year cost projections for legislation that increases taxes or spendingfees.

Then it's on to Gov. Chris Gregoire's desk, who has said she'll sign it.

Politics Northwest | Republicans drag out debate on suspending I-960 | Seattle Times Newspaper
Working...
X